The news of Heath Ledger's tragic death has had a few days to sink in, but the sadness of the event still very much remains in our hearts and in the forefront of our minds. Heath's family will be traveling to New York to prepare for funeral services that will take place this weekend, and have chosen to publish their very personal and touching tributes to their brother and son in today's West Australian newspaper. Here is what they had to say:
- From his immediate family: "How do we describe our sudden and tragic loss? . . . You were the most amazing individual 'old soul' in a young man's body. You so loved us, as we dearly loved you. As a close knit and very private family unit we have observed you so determined yet quietly travelling in your self-styled path in life, nothing would get in your way . . . no mountain too tall, no river too wide. You dreamed your dreams and lived them with passion and intelligent commitment. We have been priviledged to accompany you on a ride through life that has simply been amazing and through it all, we have loved each other beyond imagination. Your true legacy lives on in beautiful little Matilda, who will always remain in the greatest of care. Our hearts are broken . . . Dad and Ines, Mum and Roger, Kate and Nathan, Rori and Scarlett, Ashleigh, Olivia, Elana and Nadia."
- His father wrote: "Heatho'', "Beef'', . . . my beautiful boy, so loving, so talented, so independent, so caring, so young . . . no more chess games mate . . . this is it, couldn't beat you anyway! My body aches for the sound of your voice, our chats, our laughs, and our life and times together. Your truly varied artistic skills, insatiable desire to improve and eclectic abilities set you apart from any other person on the planet . . . it had only just started for you . . . and for us to further enjoy. We were one, in soul and commitment. Just . . . Father and Son. I will love you forever, Dad.''
- His mother wrote: "Our darling boy, special in so many ways to all of us. You knew you were so loved. You lived life with courage and daring and we are so grateful for the wonderful times we shared. We will be there for Matilda. Your loving Mamma, Rog and Ash."
- His sister Katie wrote: "I can hardly breathe when I try to write this . . . we were the ultimate in soul mates. I feel both my heart and life have been torn apart. I loved our special talks, our daily chats from where ever you were in the world. I especially loved all the precious time we spent together. We were so fortunate to have you as long as we did. You were so many things to so many people, but to me you were just my little brother. There will never, ever be another "Heath'' and I think that in itself is the greatest tragedy. I will continue to talk with you everyday and love you just as if you were here. You will never leave my thoughts "Roast'', ever.''
- His sister Olivia wrote: "Heath inspired so many young actors around the world to pursue their dreams. You're my idol, my hero, but most importantly, my loving big brother. I'll treasure every moment we spent together. I love you Heath, I miss you and pray every night you're safe.''
We continue to think of Heath's family and friends during this difficult time. The family has continued to ask for their privacy including not releasing any information on the funeral services as there will be no plans for a public service. May he rest in peace.