Heath Ledger's mother, father and sister took the stage tonight during a touching moment at the Oscars. There were tears in everyone's eyes and the applause was huge when they entered the press room. His father, Kim, usually does the talking for the family, but this time it was so sweet to hear from his sister Kate and his mother Sally.
- Kate on giving the award to Matilda: Obviously it belongs to Matilda, so whatever has to happen in the meantime we haven't discussed it. It will go somewhere secure in the meantime.
- Kate on knowing this role was special: When he came home for Christmas a year ago he'd been sending me bits and pieces from the film. I hadn't seen the whole thing, he hadn't seen it either. No one had seen it and I said to him, I have a feeling you’re going to get a nomination. He just looked at me and smiled, he knew.
- Sally on what Heath's reaction would be this award season: I think he would have been quietly pleased. He enjoyed the performance he did. He was very proud. He was never one to be over the top but he would be really quietly pleased to be recognized by the people of his industry.
- Kate on Matilda knowing about the accolades: Michelle keeps Matilda closeted in a nice way. Matilda won't really know much about the fuss that’s going on. Michelle will make the decisions of when it's appropriate to celebrate this kind of thing. . . We’re very close with Michelle and she's done an amazing job with Matilda. We're in constant contact.
- Both parents on Matilda being like Heath: Sally: Well I think you just have to look at Matilda to know she's totally like her daddy. She has the same mannerisms. I really feel like he is in her. Kim: She has his boundless energy. Sally: Just watching her enthusiasm and energy, and she looks a bit like him, it's really nice.
More on the film from his family is over on Buzz. It won't be an Oscar moment soon forgotten and Matilda will grow up to learn of her father's incredible journey with The Dark Knight.