John Mayer's been doing his best to keep a low profile since his split with Jennifer Aniston, but on Saturday night he peeked out from under his hoodie, posing for the paparazzi with a friend after dinner at La Esquina in NYC. He still couldn't find it in him to flash a smile, but he did open up big time to the photographers about his breakup. Here are a few highlights of what John had to say:
- "If you guys are going to run stuff and run every lie under the sun, have somebody stand up for somebody. Have me as a man who ended a relationship stand here and write some truth. Have me stand up for somebody and write that Jennifer Aniston is the smartest, most sophisticated person I think I've ever met."
- "She's one of the most lovely people I've ever met in my life and I'm going through something that's a very personal thing and you have to give that up. You have to give everything up because you can't have it all and it sucks."
- "I'm sorry that the story's not interesting," the 30-year-old added. "But it's about time that somebody stands up for that girl and I think she's great.
- "There's no lying, there's no cheating. There's no nothing. People are different, they have different chemistry, they have different lives. It's not about years, it's about going out with somebody, being truthful on the way in, being truthful in the middle and being truthful on the way out."
- "I ended a relationship because there is no lying. I ended a relationship to be alone because I don't want to waste somebody's time if something's not right. I don't waste people's time."
If you want to hear more, click here to watch the video. Nobody loves to have a field day with the paparazzi quite like John does, but this latest speech is definitely a sad turn for the musician and his wacky antics. It sounds like Jen is not the only one who's hurting right now, but at least it's sweet to know John is still one of Jen's biggest fans.