Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's May 24 wedding will likely go down as one of the biggest celebrity events of the year, but Kanye still has a few things he wants to clear up about his glamorous nuptials. Kanye spoke to GQ Magazine for its August issue to set the record straight on that infamous "gold toilet tower" and his headline-making wedding speech. It turns out, Kanye was just as crazed about his wedding as you might expect, but the whole event had a deeper meaning for him rather than just getting hitched to Kim. Read Kanye's thoughts below.
- On a report that he had a gold toilet at his wedding and that he redid the bar setup himself: "For the person that wrote that, were they involved with anything last year that was as culturally significant as the Yeezus tour or that album? They didn't even talk there about the photographs, or the dress, or Andrea Bocelli singing, or the marble tables. They're like: 'It's a gold toilet.' No. The bathrooms — that usually would be a porta-potty — were wrapped in a fabric that was neutral to match the fort. The bar was terrible, and the wedding planner didn't approve it with me. I was having issues with this wedding planner the entire time on approvals, and I get there and they threw some weird plastic bar there. So the same materials that were used to cover the bathroom, we said, 'Let's just use that, because this is all we have to make the bar look better.' Which it did, in the end. And anyone knows that you cannot pick up tools yourself, because of — what are those rules about the workers? Yeah, unions. You can't do that. It's illegal. That's false."
- On his mission with North West: "I had to say this in a position where I, from the art world, am marrying Kim. And how we're going to fight to raise the respect level for celebrities so that my daughter can live a more normal life. She didn't choose to be a celebrity. But she is. So I'm going to fight to make sure she has a better life."
- On having Carine Roitfeld at his wedding: "There was a time for two or three years where fashion designers wouldn't give Kim dresses. There was a time they wouldn't even let me be at shows. Now the idea that Kim is in a Givenchy Couture dress is raising the communication. Because people would be more apt to be like, 'Celebrities don't really have style. Celebrities can't dress. Celebrities are less educated.' But they haven't had the chance to be able to break through and have Carine Roitfeld sitting right there. Carine Roitfeld is the Walt Disney of what Tumblr is today. She is the Kanye West of what Tumblr is today. She's the single most important person to what street style is today. And she was at the wedding seven seats down from Kim, who is one of the number one fashion plates of today."
- On rumors about his temper: "I'm not a shark. I'm a blowfish . . . People have me pinned as a shark or a predator in some way, and in no way am I that. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone. I want to defend people. I want to help people."
- Reflecting on his wedding: "I am a black American male from Chicago who had my rehearsal dinner at Versailles and then got married in Florence with a view of the entire city."
- On why he decided to marry Kim: "Like they said in Step Brothers: Never lose your dinosaur. This is the ultimate example of a person never losing his dinosaur. Meaning that even as I grew in cultural awareness and respect and was put higher in the class system in some way for being this musician, I never lost my dinosaur . . . When a kid falls in love with an airplane or a bike or a dinosaur — especially if you're an only child and it's not because of the book that the sibling was reading — it's like, f*ck, you mean to tell me that the dinosaurs walked the earth and stuff like that?! That's amazing! You mean to tell me that these giant multi-ton crafts can fly that fast and that loud, and they can flip, and there's danger, the possibility of them exploding? That's f*cking cool! You mean to tell me that this girl with this f*cking body and this face is also into style, and she's a nice person, and she has her own money and is family-oriented? That's just as cool as a f*cking fighter jet or dinosaur! And just as rarely seen."
- On taking advice from Kim: "One of the reasons why I think that me and Kim are very powerful together isn't just the concept of celebrity or this mega rap star and this mega-beautiful pop star. It's something I explain to my girl: She is who she is. I am who I am. We have advisers and friends and everything, but those people are who they are and we are who we are. And what I had to learn from Kim is how to take more of her advice and less of other people's advice. There's a lot of Kim K skills that were added. In order to win at life, you need some Kim K skills, period."