Kate Hudson is on the cover of W's big September issue, and though she sports looks that are more high-fashion than her usual laid-back style, in the interview she still seems to be a bubbly California girl. Kate sat down with the magazine earlier this Summer, before her split from Lance, to chat about her son, her family, and her love for the brothers Wilson. Here's more:
- On her former co-stars: “I laughed so hard with Jason Lee,” she says of filming Almost Famous. “My connection with him — everything about his sense of humor just got me. And Luke and Owen!” she exclaims, referencing the Wilson brothers, with whom she worked on Alex & Emma and Dupree, respectively. “Man! I can’t get through anything with those two.”
- On Ryder: "He’s super athletic. I just signed him up for tennis camp. He’s very good at riding a bike — no training wheels. And he’s skiing! I was at that age too, but not as good as he is.”
- On having Ryder at 24: "Am I gonna look back and say, God, I wish I could have gone to that. . . that. . . concert? I’d rather be listening to my son sing songs. I’d rather be watching him sleep."
To see what Kate has to say about her ex-husband Chris, talking about her current relationships, and her upbringing just
- On staying close with Chris: "We iChat with Chris constantly. No matter what is going on in my life, relationship-wise, Chris takes absolute precedence. It’s important for Ryder to hear me say how wonderful Chris is, and how much Chris misses him."
- On not talking about her love life: "We can talk about Chris till the dogs come home. I married Chris, I had a baby with Chris, Chris will be in my life for the rest of my life. But everything else—I’ve learned that things are better left private until you’re actually planning the wedding."
- On her family: "I watched my parents go through ups and downs in their careers. At the end of every day, as soon as they walked through the door, it was about us kids. About watching Scooby Doo or The Three Amigos or whatever we were interested in. I guess that’s what you wind up emulating. I love acting, but I can be present on set, and then at the end of the day I come home, and it’s about family. . . eventually it all goes away. So you just gotta keep enjoying yourself."
Kate has done a good job lately at staying close with her ex-husband, so hopefully her positive outlook will help her deal with her most recent breakup.