Rihanna is starting to promote her upcoming album, including posing for Glamour's Women of the Year issue. It also coincides with the debut of her new video for "Wait Your Turn" — check it out after the jump. Rihanna has remained silent about the incident with Chris Brown thus far, but she's finally opening up about what happened. She's set to share a little about the ordeal this week on GMA and 20/20. She also discussed the drama, as well as her career and childhood, in the magazine. Here's more:
- On her career: "I would have never dreamed that my career would be this successful. I grew up in an average home in Barbados, and we didn’t live in the best neighborhood. But I was never aware that we were poor; my mom never made us feel that way. She made us feel anything was possible and instilled in me such confidence."
- On auditioning for Jay-Z: "I thought he would be in a suit, sitting behind a desk with a cigar. But he was totally chill, wearing sneakers and a t-shirt. In a matter of weeks, the first single went to radio. Then we shot a video, and the song just took off. I was in the top 10 with huge artists who I looked up to. Jay-Z kept telling me, 'This never happens, so don’t get used to it.' I saw how special that moment was."
To hear about how she managed after Chris Brown, her new album, and to see her new video for "Wait Your Turn," just
- On getting through the past year: "I went to sleep as Rihanna and woke up as Britney Spears! My friends and family have been extremely supportive, and everyone has been there for me. But at some point you are there alone. It’s a lonely place to be — no one can understand. That’s when you get close to God."
- On her new album: "I put everything I’ve wanted to say for the past eight months into my music. The songs are really personal. It’s rock ‘n’ roll, but it’s really hip-hop: if Lil’ Wayne and Kings of Leon like my album, then I’ll feel good. I would not change anything about it."
- On fashion: "Fashion for me is another way I get to express myself creatively. It is one of the fun things I get to do: to play dress-up, and create outfits and looks that aren’t typical. I am an artist, so I like creating things. Shoes are my favorite thing."
- On the future: "I hope I find love in the next 10 years — that will be pretty annoying if I am 31 and still have never been in love! But yeah, I’d like to be in a great place in both my personal life and my career."