Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen smiled big for an adorable photo shoot inside the April issue of Vogue with Rihanna on the cover. The moguls posed for Bruce Weber in a series of pretty and relaxed pictures — check out the whole set. In the interview with writer Sarah Mower, Mary-Kate and Ashley got serious talking about The Row, their experience with fashion, and what it's like being so close with each other. The designers are enjoying critical and commercial success with their three lines and also just earned a coveted CFDA nomination for The Row! The girls are constantly expanding their empire and a newer addition to the luxury line is bags, one of which is called "The Twin". Here are highlights, including a sweet soundbite from friend Carey Mulligan:
- Mary-Kate on being so close: "Some of our memories are shared. We don't know what actually happened to whom. One of us was stung by a bee, but we can't remember who, because we both felt it."
- Ashley on leaving acting: "I am so proud of what we did. We made kids smile every day. But we had done the most we could do." MK: "There was a fear, but also, an exhale."
- MK on being exposed to fashion through TV and movie wardrobes: "It was so fun because it was all about clothing and hairstyles. We had to change twelve times every episode. There would be five or six racks of clothes there, and they cut them down to fit us—even Chanel." Ashley: "We were involved 100 percent in the fittings. And at that age when you become so crazy about how you look sometimes there were three or four fittings. All our memories are of shooting."
- Ashley on sharing clothes: "There's hers, there's mine. And a huge 'maybe' pile."
- Ashley on the future: "I want to run a studio. I'd probably like to manage other people on their brands. It could be an artist. A young designer. It could be an existing brand." MK: "The thing about us is we think big. Huge."
- Carey Mulligan on MK and Ashley: "I couldn't believe what they did when I texted in a panic about having nothing to wear for my audition for Gatsby. I was hoping they'd send me some things from The Row, but then these huge boxes arrived—Ashley's entire collection of thirties vintage dresses."