Kristen Stewart is currently in Australia promoting Eclipse, but she recently posed for photos included in July's Elle UK — for behind-the-scenes footage of the cover shoot with Kristen, visit elle.tv! She spoke with the magazine exclusively about her work in the series with Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson, and also touched on her excitement about Twilight's success. Kristen also mentioned her good family upbringing as opposed to Lindsay Lohan's, and even touched on her relationship with Robert. She said:
- On her relationship with Robert: "People always ask me if I'm dating Robert. It's beyond annoying . . . What I say is, that, why would I want anything that's private to become entertainment for other people? This is what I wanted to show you on here. People say that if I just tell them everything I'll be left alone, but God, you think if I tell people they'll leave me alone? They pick up every little scrap, and that's much worse."
- On Twilight growing into a series: "We never thought it was going to be so huge; we never thought we'd do a second, a third. I'm quite nervous about the third one, actually. It's such a privilege to be able to play a role for so long. Also, it's such a product now; it didn't start out as a product. I read the first book and thought, 'Wow, this is a page turner.' There was something in the script — the energy. It's raw desire, that's what that book is. Which is why it's weird that little kids read it. I'm like, 'What are you thinking about when you're reading it?' I thought that it was going to be a really simple, overly dramatic — which was what was attractive about it — rotten love story. When they cast me it wasn't like, 'Omigod, I got this huge movie'; it was like, 'OK, I got this film.' You have to rev up to it."
- On her family: "My family are amazing. I had like, the perfect upbringing. It sucks for people like Lindsay, but it's not her fault that she's so off the rails."
- On The Runaways: "It was f***ing incredible playing Joan. I had so much fun making that movie. Detail-wise it was really nerve-racking to get her. She's a really dynamic person, and she has so many fans and people that know her distinctly. And musically, she has the weirdest voice. It's cool, but it was really hard to sing like her . . . I smoked sooo much making that film. It will do well in big cities — LA, London, New York — but I’m worried that the suburbs won't get it. Kids my age don’t know who Joan Jett is — well, until now."
To read what Kristen has to say about negative press, the phenomenon of Twilight, and her crazed fans, just
- On negative press: "It really bothers me when people write nasty s*** about me and the perception is that I don’t give a f***. It could not be further from the truth . . . Your little persona is made up of all the places that people have seen you and what has been said about you, and usually the places that I am are so overwhelming in the moment and fleeting for me — like one second where I've said something stupid, that's me, forever. What you don't see are the cameras shoved in my face and the bizarre intrusive questions being asked, or the people falling over themselves, screaming and taunting to get a reaction. All you see is an actor or a celebrity lit up by a flash. It's so . . . A lot of the time I can’t handle it. It's f***ed. I never expected that this would be my life."
- On the Twilight phenomenon: "The Twilight thing is so unique. If I didn’t have that and I was just an actor, my life would be so different. [Twilight] is quite engulfing in its size, but at the same time, it's what you work for."
- On having crazed fans: "I have one crazy stalker. It's not worth changing my number for, I’m pretty certain that it's some girl who got my number from someone I went to school with who's like, 'I've got Kristen Stewart's number.'"
The full shoot and interview with Kristen is in July's Elle UK, which is on newsstands tomorrow.
Photography by Matthias Vriens McGrath / Courtesy of UK ELLE Magazine