We're still gaining our composure from the shocking news that Heath Ledger has died. We cannot even imagine what his loved ones are going through right now but they have shared a few words with us. Heath Ledger's father Kim and mother Sally stood with his sister Kate and spoke to the press today thanking many and asking for their privacy to grieve during this sad time. Their statement to the Australian press was:
Heath's family confirms the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda. He was found peacefully asleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper at 3:30 p.m. U.S. time.
We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their well wishes and kind thoughts at this time. Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life but few had the pleasure of truly knowing him.
He was a down to earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and selfless individual who was extremely inspirational to many. Please now respect our families need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately.
Other statements and news at this time:
- Michelle Williams' father also spoke out saying "I think Tennyson got it right in the poem when he described someone as having died at a young age but burning the candles at both ends, and oh what a beautiful flame he made, that was Heath, what a beautiful flame he made and a great talent... The saddest thing is his daughter whom he just loved dearly."
- His publicist Mara Buxbaum said, "We are deeply saddened and shocked by this accident."
- E! Online reports that Naomi Watts canceled all her Sundance appearances. She is in town to promote her movie Funny Games.
- Todd Haynes, the director of I'm Not There said, "Heath was a true artist, a deeply sensitive man, an explorer, gifted and wise beyond his years. There is no finer person on this earth.”
- James Schamus, CEO of Focus Features and a producer on Brokeback Mountain said, "Heath Ledger was a courageous actor, and a great soul... He gave us the gift of sharing his fearless and beautiful love—of his craft, and of all who worked with him—for which all of us will be eternally grateful."
Our condolences are with Heath's family and loved ones.