Ryan Phillippe really bares all (get it? Because he's not wearing a shirt here) in the March issue of W magazine. Somber and contemplative manjoyment Monday. He's out promoting Stop Loss and he is careful to say that he and his costar Miss Abbie Cornish are just really good friends. Plus, the whole situation was both more complex and more everyday than anyone has made it out to be. Ryan's obviously been through a lot over the past couple of years and at the end of the day, he's ready to talk about it. Here are highlights:
- On his career: “The idea of being a movie star is less appealing than being an actor. I think a movie star tends to be representative of a certain type of film that has to be palatable, maybe genre-specific, and is not that high-risk. There is a safe association with it.”
- On his relationship with Abbie: “She and I are close friends, and as far as if there is any future, that is not where we are at now. That is what other people like to say or like to assume. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a friendship, and we are getting to know each other in a really difficult situation.”
- On Abbie being labeled the "other woman": “First of all, I wouldn’t answer that, but I would say that things are never as simple as it’s made out to be in the tabloid press. It was unfair for her to be called the names that she was, because it wasn’t about that. I don’t think an outside person can ever cause a divorce. I had difficulties in my relationship, and in my marriage, long before I ever met her.”
To read what Ryan has to say about Reese, their split, and people's interest in his life just read more
- On people's curiosity about his life: “I certainly understand the level of interest that comes along with a public marriage and with being married to someone like Reese, who so many people love with good reason. People want answers. But I think sometimes they wouldn’t be happy with what the answers would be.”
- On the split: “[It was] as typical as any relationship that doesn’t work. It’s far more complicated and far less interesting than it’s made out to be. To look and search for these salacious reasons, to pin it on a person, or a moment in someone’s life, it’s not realistic . . . I think for both Reese and I the focus remains our children. I think we have done a really good job at keeping things peaceable and completely focused on their welfare.”
While Ryan hasn't been shy about the dark days during and after his divorce from Reese, he seems to be in a pretty peaceful and hopefully happier place these days. Plus, he always has his beautiful children to help get that smile back on his face.