Posts for February 22nd 2009
Sean Penn passionately spoke about Milk's importance and message onstage and he continued his heartfelt thanks from the press room. He talked about Obama's need to examine his official stance on gay marriage, since the change will come, and says he hopes that the president's current stance is not a "felt one." He also spoke a bit about what it meant to take part in the project, and about his fellow nominee Mickey Rourke:
- On what the movie means to him: It means a lot to myself and everyone involved not only in the movie, but anybody who believes in equal rights for human beings. It’s really simple . . . There’s nothing more important than the themes that are in this movie. To be part of something like that is a privilege.
- On Mickey Rourke: I’ve known Mickey for over 25 years and I can't speak for [his consistency] since he's an excellent bridge burner at times, but we've had for the most part friendship. I’ve looked up to, advised, wanted to work with, admired him. He had me weeping through The Wrestler. He’s one of our most talented actors. One of the great poetic talents in acting.
After a long, winning award season, Kate Winslet finally got her Best Actress Oscar statue tonight. After her sincere and heartwarming speech, we were lucky enough to hear even more from Kate in the press room about finally achieving her dream.
- On retiring her own nude scenes and who she wants to "pass the torch" to: This is the one time I feel like reaching for my publicist. . . [ pause] I’m going to go for a woman and be really controversial — Susan Sarandon.
- On dreaming of this moment: A dream is a dream. When that dream starts to become a reality the nightmare doesn’t seem to kick in. I just always knew that it was a dream, was a fantasy that probably would never happen. It's only dawning on me now that I won an Oscar. It’s only starting to sink in. Right now actually. Oh my god.
- On the win: Did you see my mom and dad? My mom won a pickled onion competition in their local pub just before Christmas and that was a big deal. The Evening Post sent me a picture of her holding up her jar. Well, Evening Post, here’s your next Winslet picture!
- On choosing her dress: I thought it was really elegant. I thought my mom would think it's really pretty that’s why I wanted to wear it.
- On Sam directing love scenes: To be honest, the very straightforward answer is that he’s used to it. He’d seen me naked before I even met him. The person who was very professional getting through the emotional moments during Revolutionary Road was Sam. I was pathetic. He would turn to me and say you’ve done this so many times before and I said yes, but you’re standing right there, isn’t it a little bit weird.
Heath Ledger's mother, father and sister took the stage tonight during a touching moment at the Oscars. There were tears in everyone's eyes and the applause was huge when they entered the press room. His father, Kim, usually does the talking for the family, but this time it was so sweet to hear from his sister Kate and his mother Sally.
- Kate on giving the award to Matilda: Obviously it belongs to Matilda, so whatever has to happen in the meantime we haven't discussed it. It will go somewhere secure in the meantime.
- Kate on knowing this role was special: When he came home for Christmas a year ago he'd been sending me bits and pieces from the film. I hadn't seen the whole thing, he hadn't seen it either. No one had seen it and I said to him, I have a feeling you’re going to get a nomination. He just looked at me and smiled, he knew.
- Sally on what Heath's reaction would be this award season: I think he would have been quietly pleased. He enjoyed the performance he did. He was very proud. He was never one to be over the top but he would be really quietly pleased to be recognized by the people of his industry.
- Kate on Matilda knowing about the accolades: Michelle keeps Matilda closeted in a nice way. Matilda won't really know much about the fuss that’s going on. Michelle will make the decisions of when it's appropriate to celebrate this kind of thing. . . We’re very close with Michelle and she's done an amazing job with Matilda. We're in constant contact.
- Both parents on Matilda being like Heath: Sally: Well I think you just have to look at Matilda to know she's totally like her daddy. She has the same mannerisms. I really feel like he is in her. Kim: She has his boundless energy. Sally: Just watching her enthusiasm and energy, and she looks a bit like him, it's really nice.
More on the film from his family is over on Buzz. It won't be an Oscar moment soon forgotten and Matilda will grow up to learn of her father's incredible journey with The Dark Knight.
Jennifer Aniston looked just stunning taking the stage at the Oscars tonight presenting two awards with Jack Black. Of course, the camera cut to a smiley Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as Jennifer spoke onstage. The Jolie-Pitts are front and center and while we probably won't see an interaction, it's interesting that Jennifer was presenting a category where Angelina's movie could potentially win. Elsewhere, Jennifer sweetly cuddled up with John Mayer backstage. We couldn't resist bringing you the video of Jennifer onstage. She's such a great addition to the fun show!
To see the other award they presented just read more
Penelope is the first acting Oscar winner to make it back here tonight. After answering a number of questions in Spanish and translating her onstage thank you to all the actors from her country. She said she was about to call Woody Allen and that they're good friends. She said, "I call Woody sometimes just to say hello. I adore him, so funny, charming, unique." He sent her flowers after the BAFTAs win. Tons of Spanish questions! She is so gorgeous. She is also super excited for Nine to come out, Sophia Loren is like a "second mom." Adorable!
The Oscar fun we've all been waiting for has finally started, with some of the biggest names in Hollywood making their way into the Kodak Theater. We'll be coming to you live straight from the red carpet, but for now check out our slideshow of celebs showing off their Academy Awards fashion. As always, be sure to vote on all of Fab and Bella's love it or hate it polls!