Well, I think it's safe to say American Idol has delivered its first surprise finalist of the year. Maybe its first two: A couple of people who have been fairly under the radar got spots in the show's top 12 on Thursday. Which three contestants from the second group of 12 made it through? To find out, just read more.
And the next three finalists are . . .
Kris Allen, Allison Iraheta, and Adam Lambert!
Adam's no surprise; he's got a load of professional experience and has been a favorite since the start, and I'm sure Randy comparing him to Twilight's Robert Pattinson didn't hurt either. But I'm not 100 percent sure we even saw Kris before this round, and Allison also had limited screen time. So, apparently this tricky voting format actually can be kind to people without a lot of prior exposure.
It's not a secret that I would have preferred to see Megan Corkrey go through from this round, but the judges seem to like her enough that I expect her to be back for the wild card. Matt Giraud might get a wild card spot, too, as a chance to show the judges he can pick a better song for his voice. I imagine Jesse and Mishavonna might also get to return — is there anyone else from this group you think deserves another shot?
A few more thoughts on Thursday's show:
- I wonder just how much the top 12 will end up weighted toward guys. So far, we have four guys and just two girls in the first half. I wonder if the judges will try to even it out at all in the wild card.
- One of my favorite moments of the whole season so far was Seacrest saying "What have you done?" while standing next to Nick/Normund.
- Nice to see Brooke White again, and I'm glad she's working the piano-playing singer-songwriter thing. The song didn't necessarily grab me, but I did catch myself literally tapping my toes in the middle of it, so that can't be a bad thing, right?
- Wow, a group sing of an actual modern song that's on the radio! Cool, no? And this group's voices actually sounded pretty decent together.
- What do you think of the "Idol Moments" hidden in the ads? If you were fast-forwarding, did you actually stop to see it?
- Jesse reminds me of a cross between Janeane Garofalo and Lauren Ambrose. I actually kind of hope we see her again.
- What do you think Alexis, Danny, and Michael have been doing all week?
- Funny to hear Simon complaining about Kara talking. I mean, they have an hour to fill. What the heck else are they going to do?
Next week we have three whole nights of Idol, including the third group of 12 and the wild card round. Ready to go?
Photos courtesy of Fox