So, wow. America's Next Top Model has never been accused of being dull, but Tyra and the gang are clearly not resting on their laurels, as they've gathered one of the most — oh, let's call it "spunky" — groups of girls ever this year. If Wednesday's premiere of the 10th cycle of ANTM is any indication, we are in for a season of extremes. For every impassioned sideways-snapping girl, there is an awkward "I just discovered high heels today" young lady to balance it all out.
These girls haven't even dealt with sharing one phone line while sleep-deprived yet, and already we were treated to a roller coaster of emotions, including some spirited debate over what counts as ghetto, verbal sparring that nearly turned physical, and a large group hug resulting from a strangely timed discussion of female genital mutilation. Does Tyra know how to throw a premiere or what? Be sure to take Bella's ANTM beauty quiz, and to read the rest of my thoughts on what went down last night as 30 girls competed for 13 spots,
I'm still blown away by how Jerry Springer the whole thing was. Ultimately, it was one of the most entertaining premieres of the show's history by far. The only thing that could have made it better was Nigel.
- Tyra and co. took the "prep school" theme all the way, complete with a photo shoot for the girls to get their student IDs. Their education in "high fashion" commenced as they posed in Britney Spears get-ups that included knee socks and plaid skirts.
- After Tyra, Jay is supposed to be the authority on all things fierce for the show, so you'd kind of expect him to change up his look from time to time. However, each year like clockwork he shows up looking like a more stylin' Jack Frost. I vote for Jay to get a makeover.
- One of my favorite parts of the night was the big pep rally out on a football field complete with "cheerleaders," aka contestants from seasons past. Jay announced they were ready to crown the homecoming queen, and the camera immediately cut to girls saying they hoped they'd be the winner. Fools! If there is one rule to surviving ANTM, it's that Tyra is always the queen! She of course busted through a banner in whacked-out make-up and a giant crown. And the crowd goes wild.
- The interviews were the same old, same old. A tragic story here, a lap dance there. A serious ick moment occurred when one of the new moms admitted that she was still breast pumping and was drinking her own milk. The judges then raised actual glasses of milk to her in a toast and drank up — ew!
- The best interview moment for me came when one contestant informed the judges that she made a tough decision to leave her —wait for it —Impala to compete on the show. She had big plans to "trick it out" but sometimes you have to make these choices in life.
- In the final ceremony of the evening, Tyra chose the 13 that will head to New York with her, including two girls named Amy and Aimee. Apparently, she can't have two people with the same name on the show, so she told them to figure that out. According to the CW, we know that one of them is now "Amis." Wow, what a difference.
- In what was kind of a mean twist, Tyra then told the girls that actually, she wants 14 girls because 13 is an unlucky number. So the left-over girls had to stop crying and start rejoicing. Then, Tyra quickly chose one more lady, and the rest went back to crying.
You can check out the 14 girls that made the cut over here. Who's ready for NYC?
Photos courtesy of The CW