Things sure do move fast in these early voting rounds of American Idol. Just like that, we're down to 20. The first elimination took place Thursday night, and I can't say I was shocked at any of the contestants who were dismissed. Who's gone? For that, you're going to have to
Joanne Borgella and Amy Davis were the first to go from the girls' half of the draw, while Colton Berry and Garrett Haley said goodbye from the guys' side. I can't say I'm terribly surprised about any of the four; I even picked all but Colton to go home. (How did you do? Be sure to check your guys' ballot and your girls' ballot.) Colton should stick with the musical theater, I think, and Joanne could definitely have a singing career; I think she just had a really off night. The other two? I'd be surprised if they turn up again, but stranger things have happened in the Idol universe. What do you think? Did voters make the right call?
Here are a few of my other thoughts on Thursday's results show:
- I love the group sings. So shoot me, I really do. They provide such wonderful, awkward moments, like David A. utterly outsinging Garrett and Kristy Lee and Luke teaming for a "hmm, does this mean they're going home?" duet at the center of the stage.
- Also awkward: Colton's hair. I really do kind of love that kid, though.
- Garrett got kicked off so fast, I don't know that anyone had time to process what was coming. That made it a dead giveaway that Kristy Lee wasn't going home, though; Seacrest never does the same trick twice.
- Amy Davis' departure = the decline of the influence of Vote for the Worst? Discuss.
- Simon's response when Seacrest asked what he was thinking as he sipped out of his cup: "How much I love Coca Cola." Wow, that was almost some 30 Rock-level product placement.
- Love Joanne's "Sunday — I mean, uh, Wednesday — was a crazy day" slip-up. So they pretaped the shows this week. Who cares? Don't make these stressed-out singers lie, too!
- Wow, Chikezie really thought he was going home, didn't he?
- While I'm sure it's nice to have your family there after you've just been kicked off American Idol, the constant panning shots to sad relatives were a bit much.
Your thoughts? Ready for another round next week? We'll be down to 12 before we know it!
Photos courtesy of Fox