It was an American Idol rarity this week: The judges saving Matt a week ago led to two Idol hopefuls heading home on Wednesday. Suddenly, a hefty group of seven has become a much slimmer top five. Was Matt spared another week, or was it his turn (again) to be voted off? Did Simon's prediction that this week would be the end of the road for Lil come true? Is America as into dark horse Kris Allen as much as I am? To find out, just read more.
So wow! Even though Ryan told Lil Rounds "we need someone like you in this competition," he went ahead and put her out of her misery right off the bat. I think it worked out well that she got to sing "I'm Every Woman" as her swan song, and all the judges had nothing but kind words for her.
I think Lil was eliminated first because it was the most predictable result of the night. It was also no surprise when Kris and Adam were immediately told they were safe. After Danny was told he'd be back another week, it was on to one of the big cliffhangers: Matt's fate. It turns out the judges' save really was a lifesaver for him, as he's redeemed himself to America and was voted back in this week.
That meant Allison and Anoop were sent to the stools, and Anoop was the one who had to say goodbye. I'm not totally surprised — his position in the competition has been precarious for a while now. However, I continue to be confused by both America's love of Danny and indifference toward Allison. What's up with that?
A couple more thoughts:
- Matt downloaded himself as a ringtone. I can't decide if that's kind of cute or a little egotistical.
- Paula appears to be at her most sane when she's in her element: teaching people how to dance.
- I know it was a disco theme and all, but the guys all kind of looked like they were going to a pimp party.
- That disco medley was out of control and perhaps the definition of "filler."
- I always think it's so fun when Simon wants nothing to do with Ryan's banter. At one point, Ryan was trying to draw Simon into a conversation before telling Danny if he was safe or not, and Simon shut him down with, "You're being facetious. Get back to the contestants."
- The return of the prodigal son! David Archuleta took the stage and made lots of girls happy, as evidenced by their screaming when he appeared.
Were you guys sad to see Lil and Anoop go?
Photos courtesy of Fox