ShoWest, which wrapped up its annual event in Las Vegas yesterday, might just be the sexiest "trade show" around. The industry event is where film producers, movie theater owners, and, of course, Hollywood stars come together to celebrate the big moneymaking projects they have on tap.
This year, the big buzz swirled around Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, for which Jerry Bruckheimer unveiled the trailer and which could help make 2007 box-office returns even bigger than 2006.
Grindhouse was also impossible to ignore: Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, who each directed one half of the double-feature horror flick due out April 6, were honored with ShoWest's Best Director award for 2007. To see the rest of the winners,
Grindhouse picked up several awards, including Supporting Actor of the Year for Freddy Rodriguez and Supporting Actress of the year for Rosario Dawson, who will also star in Sin City 2. Here's who else won big.
- Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, Directors of the Year
- Don Cheadle, Male Star of the Year
- Kirsten Dunst, Female Star of the Year
- Rosario Dawson, Supporting Actress of the Year
- Freddy Rodriguez, Supporting Actor of the Year
- Emma Roberts, Female Star of Tomorrow
- Shia LaBeouf, Male Star of Tomorrow
- Jerry Weintraub, winner Producer of the Year
- Raman Hui and Chris Miller, Animation Directors of the Year
- Steve Carell, Comedy Star of the Year
- Bruce Joel Rubin, Screenwriter of the Year