Welcome to the first installment of BuzzSugar's monthly must-haves, where I show off a handful of the things I'm most looking forward to watching, buying, renting and reading. Here are six goodies that I'm looking forward to in August:
To hear why these six things are at the top of my list,
- "Friday Night Lights": The Complete First Season — one of my favorite new shows of the past TV season comes to DVD Aug. 28. The five-disc set is priced at an almost scandalous $29.99 — and many online retailers already have it for less.
- Before the spooky-looking movie The Invasion (starring Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman) opens in theaters August 17, I'm definitely going to re-watch the 1978 zombie fright-fest on which it's based: Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Just thinking about this film gives me goosebumps, so I hope the remake does the original justice. Be sure to check out the DVD's excellent commentary by director Philip Kaufman.
- The New Pornographers: Challengers — This Canadian supergroup creates some of the most perfect power-pop tunes around, and I'm looking forward to strolling through the city on a late-summer day with their latest album (out Aug. 21) on my iPod.
- Are you ready for the August 3 opening of The Bourne Ultimatum?! Well, with this 3-disc collection, you can say you were Bourne ready. I know that pun was hilarious, but it's time to focus: the special edition set includes both The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and a whole separate disc of extra materials.
- Rilo Kiley: Under the Blacklight — My girl crush on Rilo Kiley frontwoman Jenny Lewis is well-documented, and it doesn't hurt that I've liked everything I've heard so far from the band's new album, out Aug. 21.
- This month boasts two major movies that were based on books: Neil Gaiman's Stardust and The Nanny Diaries, co-written by Emma Mclaughlin and Nicola Kraus. If you haven't yet read these, check them out before Stardust opens August 10 and Diaries opens August 24 so you can see how the film versions stack up.