CBS has a few new shows joining its Fall TV slate, and The Crazy Ones, which premieres tonight, might be the show with the most promise. Starring Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar as a father and daughter, the comedy breaks the mold of current CBS comedies in that it's a single-camera comedy. That's right, no live audience. If you're wondering whether the show is one to watch, I'm letting you know below since I've already checked out the pilot.
- What it's about: Williams and Gellar play father-and-daughter team Simon and Sydney Roberts, who run successful advertising agency Roberts & Roberts. Their business challenges generally revolve around Simon's eccentric personality, which sometimes fuels his creativity, and sometimes loses clients.
- Where it works: I have so many good things to say about this pilot, starting with its stars. Robin Williams is extra Robin Williams-y here (you know, he's on with the weird voices, nonstop jokes, and maniacal laughter), but it works, because he's treated like a crazy genius. His chemistry with Gellar is perfection (she's a fantastic straight man, it turns out), and James Wolk (aka Mad Men's Bob Benson), as one of the associates at the firm, is eye candy and funny. As a bonus, Kelly Clarkson has an awesome cameo in the pilot, and I hope that means there will be more appearances by other stars.
- Where it doesn't: Did you read what I said about Robin Williams being extra Robin Williams-y? If you're not into that, this show will just drive you nuts.
- You might like this show if: You like workplace comedies like Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.
- When it's on: Mondays at 9 p.m. on CBS
Watch a trailer for The Crazy Ones after the jump.