Wednesday night was a big one on American Idol, as we learned which of the final three guys would advance to next week's big finale. Would it be the perpetually safe Danny Gokey? The longtime favorite Adam Lambert? The dark horse Kris Allen? With more than 80 million votes, and only a million between the top two, it was quite a struggle for the final two spots. To talk about who got them, just read more.
So Danny's first time in the bottom was also his last time in the competition. The finale will be a battle between Kris and Adam, while Danny heads home to Milwaukee. And I'm OK with that: Danny's certainly a good singer, but I've been feeling like I've already heard everything he can do, while Adam and Kris (especially Kris, actually) continue to surprise me. Danny has a compelling backstory and enough fans to have kept him safe for 95% of this Idol season, though, and I'm sure there will be a market for his music.
Meanwhile, an Adam/Kris finale is about as shocking as it gets in the Idol universe — neither Pop nor I even had Kris making the top 12. It's nice to see a contestant who didn't get a ton of screen time in the early rounds break through. And while Adam would seem to be the favorite, knowing there were only a million votes between them this week complicates things a bit. Who do you think has the edge going into next week's finale?
Some thoughts on the rest of the show:
- Kris's reaction to getting into the finale was great, but it was nothing compared to the judges, who looked genuinely shocked. Simon even did his crazy-eyes "whoa" thing.
- Love the animated Danny, Adam, and Kris from the Ford ad. I wonder if you really know you've made it when you become a cartoon.
- Whose hometown visit do you think looked like the most fun? Danny's reunion with Jamar was sweet, and Adam's little theater group kids were adorable, but Kris's dad getting emotional was the only one that made me want to cry.
- Going back for a second — JAMAR! Love that snappy green tie. I still wish he'd made the live shows.
- I'm starting to think Jordin Sparks is my favorite Idol winner after Kelly Clarkson. It's been fun to watch her grow up.
- Katy Perry generally bugs me, but with those costumes and backup dancers, I can understand why she might be fun to see live.
What do you make of these results?
Photos courtesy of Fox