Now that we've had time to digest this year's Emmy nominations, the dust has settled and we're talking about our reactions to the news. We already discussed our snap judgments for the comedy categories, so now it's time to get serious and go over the drama nominees that made us happy, bewildered, or a little bit irked.
- We're doing backflips for Friday Night Lights — the drama nomination is a long time coming, and will finally make the legions of Dillon Panthers fans happy. It's a bittersweet send-off for the emotional drama, which wraps up with its series finale this week.
- As usual, Mad Men cleaned up with tons of nominations (19 in total) — and it was appropriate. Some cast members received repeat nominations, but I'm most tickled by the guest star nominations for Cara Buono (Faye) and Randee Heller (Ida Blankenship!). I'm also excited to see that the show got a nod for best writing for one of my favorite episodes of the series, "The Suitcase."
- Now, onto the snubbings: Parenthood was completely left out of the running, and True Blood was also mostly neglected, except for a single acting nod for guest star Alfre Woodard.
To read some more drama snap judgments, just read more.
- What happened with The Walking Dead? I was sure that the newbie from AMC — a network the academy usually adores — would be all over the nomination list. The visual effects, sound editing, and makeup earned Dead their scant nominations (though it's at least got makeup in the bag), but I would have liked to see nods for the acting and show on the whole.
- Huzzah for Game of Thrones! Though I was pulling for Sean Bean to nab a nomination, I'm still pleased as punch that the new series was recognized for outstanding drama series, and that Peter Dinklage got some recognition for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister. Now the real question is how it will contend with fellow HBO newbie Boardwalk Empire, which also scored a bucket of nods and cleaned up at the Golden Globes.
What are your first reactions to the drama categories? Which nominees made you cheer and which made you hiss? Weigh in now!