Skip Nav
Celebrities
11 Actors Who Were Almost Cast in Fifty Shades of Grey
Black Panther
More Casting News for the Black Panther Movie Has Been Announced!
Nina Dobrev
Why Nina Dobrev Has to Return for The Vampire Diaries' Final Season

Good to Know: Entertainment by the Numbers

Nielsen, the company that measures TV ratings, among other things, just released its annual top-ten lists ranking everything from the most-watched TV shows to the most-purchased supermarket goods (bread's a big one). I'm a sucker for entertainment-related factoids, so here are a few nuggets from this year's lists:

  • Where in the United States has the most-avid moviegoers? Salt Lake City! The Salt Lake area ranked first in the percentage of adults who had been to the movies four or more times in the three months before the survey was conducted. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, El Paso, and the San Francisco Bay Area were next.
  • By those standards, only 8 percent of US adults qualify as avid moviegoers.
  • After the Super Bowl and Oscars, the top 10 TV programs of the year were all various installments of American Idol.
  • Lost and Heroes tied for the TV series that's most commonly timeshifted, or watched on a DVR. Each gained almost 18 percent more viewers than the number who watched the shows live.
  • Only four TV shows can regularly get more than 10 percent of US residents to tune in at any given time: Idol, Dancing With the Stars, Sunday Night Football, and CSI.
  • As of Dec. 2, the High School Musical soundtrack was on pace to become the top-selling album of the year, followed by Daughtry, and Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight.
  • Through Nov. 25, Khaled Hosseini had books ranked at number one and two on the list of best-selling fiction: A Thousand Splendid Suns was first, followed by The Kite Runner.

You can check out all the lists, and then let me know: Does anything surprise you about 2007 by the numbers?

Source

Around The Web
Join The Conversation
The-City-Girl The-City-Girl 8 years
Oh they picked us once, which is funny since I literally am one of the 'nielsen' families (it's my surname!), but I never used to watch tv and was really bad at filling out the little booklet when I did, so I think they pretty much gave up on us, hehehe.
Mädchen Mädchen 8 years
I'm confused about Jeffrey Eugenides's "Middlesex" on the book list. Why does it say 6/1/2007 under publication date? That book (which I LOVE, btw) has been out for years. Does the date just refer to the edition? Also, why the sudden rise in popularity?
CaterpillarGirl CaterpillarGirl 8 years
They randomly pick you Renee. and you get paid 10 bucks per month. lol
ginna79 ginna79 8 years
That only 93% of American households buy toilet paper.. I wonder what the other 7% use?? Kinda gross!
Renees3 Renees3 8 years
LOST RULES! How do you get involved with doing the Nielson ratings? We watch TV a lot and always joked that they should ask us what's good!
Linda-McP Linda-McP 8 years
Fascinating lists. Salt Lake City really surprises me.
CaterpillarGirl CaterpillarGirl 8 years
I am part of the Nielson family, i get paid to write down what i watch, when i watch it, blah blah blah. sometimes its fun, but most of the time its annoying.
Social Networking Tips
Facebook Most Used Social Network
Do You Watch More or Less TV Than Average?
My Top 10 Wishes for the Emmy Nominations
Which of My Top 10 Movie Dads Is Your Favorite?
Nielsen's Cellphone Tracking Plot Thickens
Top 10 Most Memorable TV Dads

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

From Our Partners
Latest Entertainment
X