Deep in the heart of a barren wasteland of repeats (mostly), Gossip Girl was new last night and fully ridiculous in the best possible way. Much of the plot was utterly unrealistic, but hey, that's why we love it, right? Here are my thoughts:
- Before we get started, check out Fab's fashion quiz, Bella's beauty quiz, and Geek's tech quiz on the episode. Fun, fun.
- What's with the episodes with no Chuck at all? I guess his "presence" was there and we got the answer to where he went from the airport: Monaco. But seriously, I want my Chuck Bass! I didn't miss Nate nearly as much.
- Thankfully, Jenny wasn't in it much either. She just bugs me.
- I know you all are slightly more Team Serena, but the Blair/Dad/Dad's lover plot was sweet last night, right? Plus, since when is Waldorf mom such a sympathetic character? I didn't think I would ever like the parents on this show but, sigh, I guess I do.
To read the rest of my thoughts just read more
- So Vanessa got Dan the best Christmas gift ever: getting published in the New Yorker Fiction Issue. Um, suuuure. We'll just go with it. He's amazingly talented. Of course, Serena felt all one-upped so went out and bought him a fancy watch so he doesn't miss all his important meetings. He's kinda a jackass about it and won't accept the gift. Instead, they agree to stay under $50.
- The Humphrey parent happiness didn't last too long. Just like that, Allison was terrible again and carrying on behind Rufus' back. I'm glad that she is once again on her way to Hudson (and off the show?), but the final scene with her was a little sad.
- Seriously though, why was Dan reading his mom's mail out loud?
- Meanwhile, how much do you want Mr. Waldorf and Mr. Waldorf's European lover to just move in with Blair and her mom. One big happy family! Blair was momentarily bratty, but mom saved the day. Yay Eleanor!
- Chuck was getting a little racy with those text messages to Blair asking about how she faked her virginity and threatening to tell Nate.
- Speaking of virginity on GG, Dan and Serena, eh? That snow room was pretty cool, but it actually ended up snowing. Way to steal Serena's (or, you know Vanessa's) thunder, Mother Nature.
- Serena on Bart Bass: "He raised Chuck. That scares me."
- Cliffhanger! Rufus is outside the van der Woodsen apartment in the freezing cold with no jacket semi-professing his love for Lily on her answering machine while inside Bart Bass was proposing to her. That seems a bit out of the blue since just a few episodes ago he was ignoring her, but okay! What's she going to do? And how angry is that going to make Chuck?
So, what did you think about the episode? Is Rufus a bit of a hypocrite? Is Eleanor Waldorf growing on you? Will Chuck tell Nate? Dan in the New Yorker? Is Vanessa getting better? And, seriously, how exciting does the two part episode starting on January 2 look? Amazing.
Photos courtesy of The CW