Whoa. Gossip Girl is officially getting good — partly due to Georgina, who I'm starting to believe has little motive for torturing Serena and is more driven by mental instability and pure evil. We know, based on last week's episode, that whatever secret Serena is carrying will bring Georgie down too. So why would Georgina mess with her own future? And why push Serena that far? She must expect that Serena's too wimpy to call her bluff. But it wasn't just that mystery that fueled the episode — there were secret bombs going off all over the place. Here are the rest of my thoughts:
- The struggle for Queen Bee between Blair and Little J taking over the Gossip Girl blog was kind of blowing my mind. The rumors were flying every which way; then it involved Asher; then there was a nod to the real-life rumors that Eric was the anonymous GG. Even Dan was sending in tips!
- Blair was on fire last night! I loved seeing the many faces of B jammed into one episode: wicked, ruthless, and protective of her friends. I'm so glad she finally went in for the kill. Jenny took a long, hard fall, but it was about time she got back to her Humphrey roots.
To see what I had to say about Eric's big moment and that horrid boyfriend of Jenny's, read more.
- Asher was just awful. Jenny's desperation to fit in at the cost of her dignity annoys me, but when Asher broke the news that she was just his beard — "Do you think someone like me dates someone like you?" — I could have died for her. What a d-bag! But instead of slapping him across the face and walking out, she compromised her soul even more.
- The little Greek chorus of rich girls had some of the best lines of the night, including "Now you know how Vanessa Hudgens feels" and "Dating a gay guy is an honest mistake, but lying to your girlfriends about sex is unforgivable."
- Gossip Girl got in a few zingers herself, including, "Don't worry Little J. The sun will come out tomorrow, even though your boyfriend did today" and the virginity-losing euphemism "swiped her V-card at his register." And, ew.
- Murder! I knew it. How heartbreaking was that final scene with B and S? Blair is, at the end of the day, a really good friend.
- We know the big secret has something to do with Georgina and Serena pretending to be Russians, a threesome Georgie taped, and, somehow, a murder. What do you want to bet the person Serena thinks is dead isn't?
- So yes, Serena's been acting strange, but what is Dan doing? Dan meets a new girl, tells her all his relationship problems, and forces her on to Serena? Secret identity of said friend aside, I think S would have every right to be mad.
- Lily and Rufus, back to flirting, trading parenting horror stories, and leaning on each other for support. Aw. Maybe Bart should come home.
- After Eric was outed (thanks a lot, G), Serena seemed hurt that Eric would turn to Chuck to chat about his feelings. Eric explained that at least Chuck's not judgmental. Does Chuck as a shoulder to cry on make anyone else giggle?
- The surrender of Little J to Blair was a great scene. Blair was actually restrained in her victory — sort of. She admitted that Jenny put up a good fight but followed that with, "I hope you don't expect a hug." Classic.
So, did you tear up a little when Jenny came home to a game of Scrabble? Did your heart stop beating when Serena admitted she killed someone? Do you wish Serena would stand up to Georgina already? How awesome would it be to see Blair vs. Georgina? I hope they recruit Chuck too. It would be like the Upper East Side's version of the X-Men or something.
Photos courtesy of The CW