Things are still floundering along on Grey's Anatomy, leaving me to wonder how much longer we have to wait for a little excitement. There's plenty going on, but I think I need a little more action to rope me in. In my opinion, the most riveting times on the show have come from patients who stick around for more than one episode and cataclysmic, life-altering circumstances. But there can only be so many natural disasters and plane crashes. What's going to shake things up for us and our favorite surgeons?
Find out exactly what happens this week when you read on.
- Callie learns a valuable lesson when a daredevil girl named Reese comes in with a horrible leg fracture. Her younger sister, Donna, reveals she was a donor baby, and that she's given almost every expendable part imaginable to her sister over the years. When the doctors decide Reese's kidney isn't going to make it through, Callie has a moment with Donna, telling her she doesn't have to donate if she doesn't want to; she's in charge of her own life. Cue epiphany and new lease on life for Callie, who ends the episode dancing in her underwear.
- Richard has finally decided he wants to be alive again and gradually begins recovering throughout the episode. Listen, not to be crass or anything, but Richard isn't contributing a whole lot to the show anymore, and I can't help but wonder what they have in store for him once he gets back into shape.
- In perhaps the only interesting part of the whole episode, Arizona had been too drunk to remember what she did with intern Murphy after the gala last week, and all she knows is Murphy's being really chummy. As it turns out, they just had girl talk and ate grilled cheeses. I can't decide if they're going to be new lovers or just new best friends, but at least it's something!
- Am I the only one who felt a little déjà vu with the whole Jackson, Stephanie, and Jackson's mom situation? I swear we've already seen one of Jackson's girlfriends make a fool of herself in front of Catherine Avery, but then again, the three of them bonding over the patient who stuck his junk in a hornet's nest is definitely a new development. I'm not sure about the significance of the patient they all worked on together, but it was nice to see Stephanie throw a little sass Catherine's way at the end of the episode, thereby earning herself a round of drinks on Catherine's dime.
- Jo is still trying hard to get Alex to reunite with his father, James, but Alex is completely unwilling. While most of James's interactions were with Jo, who tries her best to get him into a rehab center, I held my breath when he and Alex share an elevator for a brief moment. I was dying for them to speak, but Alex can't get up the nerve in time.
- Is Meredith losing her doctor mojo? She tries so hard throughout the episode to scrub into the groundbreaking heart and liver transplant Cristina is planning, but her motherly duties are getting in the way. In the end, she chooses her daughter over the surgery because she doesn't want to turn into her mother, and Cristina gives her a little tough love. Meredith is not falling behind because of the baby, nor because she's a bad surgeon; it's because she let up — she slowed down.
What do you think? How are they going to get a little excitement back into the show?