The theme of this week's Grey's Anatomy is freaks, and not just because one of Seattle Grace's newest patients resembles a tree. Lots of little secrets about the surgeons come out this week, which brings some of them under scrutiny around the hospital. Yang still can't bring herself to go back into an OR, Karev won't use the elevator, and April tries to hide the fact that she's a virgin.The episode is a bit lighter than the season's first two, but it's clear that the subject of the shooting spree is going to be a hot topic for quite some time. When you're ready to break it all down, just read more.
- Cristina's OR meltdown last week becomes a point of contention with the doctors. Is she ready to go back to work? Will she ever be? The surgeons take sides, with Derek firmly on Team Cristina. He even threatens to quit if she gets fired. Now that she's saved his life, he's willing to take a (proverbial) bullet for her.
- One person who doesn't believe in Cristina's abilities is Derek's sister Amy. The baby of his family shows up unannounced, frustrated that her big brother hasn't returned her calls. Derek is stone cold to her, even though she brings him a patient with a brain tumor as a "present." When Meredith calls him out on his behavior, he reveals that he's been angry with her for years since she's recovering from an addiction to pain medication. Derek thinks it's unfair that his sister put their mother through so much (especially after their father passed), but I think it's kind of unfair that Derek is seemingly abandoning his sister because she has a problem. Clearly the whole family has been through some serious trauma — shouldn't he do the brotherly thing and forgive her? Derek continues to be frosty before the operation and kicks Amy out of the OR when she says that Cristina is a dud.
- Maybe I don't know enough about what really goes on inside hospitals, but all the talk of Cristina never returning to work again seems to be jumping the gun a bit. All of the doctors are suffering from a bit of post traumatic stress disorder, and she only had one bad reaction to a surgery. Shouldn't someone be encouraging her to take a sabbatical instead of talking about firing her?
- Lucky for Cristina, Derek swoops in to help save her life like she saved his. He takes her back to square one, using a cadaver to help get her confidence back in the operating room. They share a very sweet moment when he admits that he probably wouldn't have chosen Cristina as a friend in ordinary circumstances — but now, they're a family. In turn, Derek also mans up and has a heart-to-heart with Amy about what happened to their father.
- After a long day of suspicion from her peers, April finally admits that she is, in fact, a 28-year-old virgin. When her fellow doctors erupt in laughter, she gives them their just deserts, going around the table and calling each one out on their own laughable secret. Karev is afraid of the elevator, Jackson still has nightmares, Meredith is afraid the "old" Cristina will never return, and the kicker — Lexie is oblivious to the fact that Mark is still in love with her. I cheered for April when she finally stands up for herself, and I'm with Meredith when she says that April is becoming more likable.
- "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" moment of the episode: After April's speech, Lexie goes to Mark, seemingly ready to give him another chance. Unfortunately, Callie reminded him that Lexie had asked him to back off, and Lexie finds him all tangled up in Amelia. I just want to see these two back together, and though Mark technically didn't do anything wrong, is Lexie going to be mad at him all over again?
- Can we talk about Teddy for a second? Kim Raver was only recently made a series regular on the show, but boy are they wasting her screen time. Last season she played a pivotal role in Cristina's development as a surgeon and her relationship with Owen, but this season she seems to be an afterthought in every episode. I'm hoping they'll utilize her a little more now that her half-baked relationship is over — I want to see her make some waves.
What did you think of this week's episode? Are you excited for the potential spark between Teddy and Jackson (they hinted it in the promo for next week)? Did you think the man with the warts was as nauseating as the doctors did? Sound off in the comments, or start your own thread in the Grey's Anatomy Junkies group in the Buzz Community.
Photo copyright 2010 ABC, Inc.