American Idol's own rockin' robin, Megan Joy, took to the phones on Wednesday to talk about her elimination, the caw-ing, and her comments about not caring what Simon said. She said she woke up on Wednesday "feeling like I was going to go home no matter what" and decided to make the most of her last few Idol moments because part of her was ready to leave the show and go home to her son. Here are highlights:
On her "I love you, Simon, but I just don't care" comment: "I cared about the competition — I didn't want people to misunderstand me not caring. I just didn't care that Simon didn't like my songs."
- On the caw-ing: "I love birds and bird noises. I just decided that if I'm going out, I'm going out with a bang. I'm just going to be myself. So I flew the whole time. . . . [The other contestants] said, 'Meg, if you go tonight, we're gonna caw for you, we're gonna support you,' so I was like, 'Don't you forget to caw.'"
- On her brother yelling at Kara: "I'm always proud of my brother. He's my boy, and he's like me — he just can't help but be himself. I wasn't surprised at all that he did it. It just cracks me up. I was pleased that Kara ended up taking it lightheartedly. . . . I think she was kind of like, 'How dare you? Who do you think you are?' And then she was like, 'Wait, who are you?' and he was like, 'Her brother!' and she was like, 'Oh, I see.'"
- On the biggest lesson she learned from Idol: "I learned that there's always gonna be negative people — haters if you will — trying to bring you down, but you've just got to forget about that and move past it always."
To hear about her (quirky, no surprise) dream job and what she planned to sing next week, just
- On singing for the last time knowing the judges wouldn't save her: "It was for sure easier, because I didn't care if I messed up — which I did. I was just stoked to flop around and sing it right in their faces."
On whether she feels Simon turned on her: "You know, I think his opinion of me changed a little bit, and he was pretty hard on me. He likes me — maybe just as much as he did [at first] but maybe not for this competition. But I've got no beef with Simon, and I don't think he really has any with me."
- On her song for next week: "I was going to sing 'Separate Lives' by Phil Collins because it's beautiful and I was ready to show the world that I can belt it like the rest of them."
- On what she'd like to do next, besides pursuing music: "I like cartoons — I love doing voices. I'm all about that. I love Pixar. . . . Whatever life wants to introduce me to, I would love to dabble. . . . I've never tried to write anything before, so I'm just excited to see what comes out of me."
- On her dream job of being on Yo Gabba Gabba: "The second the show came out, I fell in love with it. It is pure genius. I'd do Cool Tricks or the Super Music Friends Show, I'd do the Dancey Dance, anything!"
Photos courtesy of Fox