Normally when I say something like this, it would be sarcastic — but truly that was a pretty action-packed American Idol results show on Wednesday night. Three contestants from the third group of 12 advanced straight to the top 12, and the judges named the eight finalists who will return and sing for their lives tomorrow. So whose Idol journey ended and whose may still continue? Just
And the next three people moving for sure into the finals are . . .
Scott MacIntyre, Lil Rounds, and Jorge Nunez!
They sure didn't wait long to tell us about Lil, huh? She was the first called by Ryan and the first to take her place of pride on the winners' stools. The only real suspense of the night came down to Jorge vs. Ju'Not; if it were up to me, I would have loved to see them both get through.
But the time for that came later, when we heard the names of the eight wild card competitors. It's a pretty mixed group: Von Smith, Jasmine Murray, Ricky Braddy, Megan Corkrey, Matt Giraud, Jesse Langseth, Tatiana Del Toro, and Anoop Desai. They'll be back to sing tomorrow for the final three spots in the top 12.
A couple of other quick thoughts on the show:
- If it were up to me, I'd swap Tatiana for Kristen or Felicia and Von for Ju'Not in the wild card round, but overall, I don't think it's a bad group. Could have been much worse, that's for sure.
- So, as of now we have six guys and only three girls in the top 12 — and it seems pretty clear that if it were up to America, the balance might be even more uneven. Do you think the judges will try to correct the imbalance tomorrow night? Or could they potentially put three guys through? If they try to re-balance things, it's got to be looking pretty good for the girls.
- Anyone else's stomach flip a little when Ryan said, "Could you be looking at the next American Idol?" while standing next to Tatiana?
- Did the group sing seem . . . um, suspiciously good to anyone else? It just sounded like there were more than six guys and six girls singing at times. Also, what ridiculous choreography. (That said, I was a little concerned about how Scott would deal with that element of the show, and he looked just fine — which is to say he looked no more awkward than anyone else.)
- Jorge is adorable. I'm sorry, but he's the cutest. His reaction to Seacrest's, "You're finding out now. No you're not. Yes you are," bait-and-switch just cracked me up. And his emotional reaction seemed to warm even Simon's cold little heart — I think that was a smile I saw there!
Did anything from group three's results surprise you? Are these the wild card picks you wanted to see? Anyone major left out?
Photos courtesy of Fox