So, confession: I kind of like Lipstick Jungle. Yes, it's trying too hard. No, it's no Sex and the City. Yes, I caught myself online shopping in the middle of one of Victory's scenes again. But it's growing on me. I can't say I'd be heartbroken if it didn't get renewed for another season (and at fewer than 6 million viewers per episode, it's not exactly likely to). But I'm enjoying it a surprising amount while it lasts.
The biggest difference this week was that Victory's storyline didn't make me want to claw my eyes out, though I wouldn't call it thrilling. Wendy had some good moments, and Nico's affair took a nasty turn, so to chat about the episode, just
- I'm still where I was last week with Wendy. I like her, but I don't understand her. She's so soft and warm and motherly, and I don't know how she gets from there to scrawling "b*tch" in lipstick on the back of Janice's coat.
- As a result, I'm not sure whether she was conscious of how much she was using Maddie as a pawn in her fight over the nanny expose. She might have genuinely been wanting to give her some new clothes and a fun lunch out, but at the same time, she clearly wanted to parade her gorgeous, sweet daughter in front of Janice. But she pretty much dug her own grave there by screeching at Maddie; anyone who orders around an adolescent girl like that in public is going to pay.
- Also, Maddie got all the best lines last night. "And the person who cuts my hair? Also cuts Sarah Michelle Gellar's."
- Random, but funny, that they made Brooke Shields' feet into a plot point: Wendy doesn't try on shoes in public because "they marvel at how big they are." Hee.
- Oh, Joe Bennett. One minute, you're so nice, whisking Victory away to Paris and setting her up in Coco Chanel's secret studio. The next, you're all antisocial and weird. Then you're sending over Coco's dress form. Then you're refusing to compromise again. Why do you make it so hard to like you?
- That said, his shock at the fact that Victory would actually deign to ask him to hang out with her friends again was one of my favorite moments of the episode. Duh, Victory. Time is money, and Joe Bennett doesn't have time for friends unless they're green and papery and come from the bank.
- Nico's really not so good at this affair thing, is she? Who gets her lusty bedfellow fired, then writes him a check, thus creating a paper trail that links them? (Speaking of which, what happened to the photos from their little salacious photo shoot last week? Did I miss it? Those have got to turn up again, right?)
- What Nico is good at: getting her friends out of trouble. I just love Janice's new assistant: Sweater Boy! That was a nice addition.
- Did anyone else get a kick out of Brooke "Pretty Baby" Shields delivering a speech about girls playing racy roles before they're ready?
- So, sexual harassment lawsuit, huh? That's going to get ugly fast. The rest of the women ended up in a pretty good place (Wendy making up with Maddie, Victory at least telling Joe what she needs), so I suppose it's good that there's at least one salacious story held over for next week.
Your thoughts? Is Maddie anybody else's favorite character? How will Nico get out of this mess? And will Victory actually design some clothes sometime?
Photos courtesy of NBC