I grew up in the 80's, and I still love all things 80's, including the movies. It was a great decade for coming of age stories and romantic comedies. It's hard to pick my favorites because there are so many that I love:
- The Breakfast Club — One of my close friends from middle school introduced me to this movie because she was in love with Judd Nelson's character. The story is still relevant today, and I actually used a clip of the movie in a project I did for graduate school a few years ago.
- Crocodile Dundee — A cute story about culture differences and romance. The main characters are likeable, and I love the crazy 80's New York fashion.
- Pretty in Pink — A great coming of age story that I still watch whenever it comes on TV. I love Ducky and Molly Ringwald's quirky friend played by Annie Potts.
- Caddyshack — A brilliant comedic line up of Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, and Ted Knight, plus an adorable dancing gopher.
- Dirty Dancing — Patrick Swayze, dancing, and a great soundtrack that I used to listen to over and over.
For kimmieb124's top five (including her No. 1!) just
- Ghostbusters — Slimer and the gigantic Stay Puft marshmellow man. Enough said.
- Top Gun — Young Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer make for good eye candy, and the love scene with Take My Breath Away playing in the background makes me swoon.
- Dragnet — Dan Akroyd and Tom Hanks are hilarious in this movie. My brother and I used to be able to quote whole scenes because we watched it so much.
- Ruthless People — Completely hilarious comedy with Bette Midler, Danny DeVito, and Judge Reinhold.
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun — Probably my favorite 80's movie of all time. Girl bonding, teen romance, and lots of dancing. I watched this movie whenever I was feeling sick or tired for an energy boost, and I still smile whenever I think about it.