Being such a big Sun fan, this week's episode of "Lost" was a huge treat. And it wasn't just any Sun episode, but one in which she kicked some butt in her flashbacks.
For my spoilerific musings,
- Okay, last things first here: the Power Ranger lady from the sky says they found the remains of Oceanic flight 815 and nobody survived. So, either she's lying, or the finding of the remains was staged, or there are alternate universe/time bending things going on here.
- Let me get this straight: On this island, pregnant ladies die and men have the sperm of superheroes? I'm sorry — climbing up on soapbox now... there we go — I find it annoying that nearly all the mothers on this show — indeed motherhood itself — are villainized or otherwise rendered useless. Kate's mother is evil, Claire's mother is comatose, now Jin's mother is a crazy manipulative prostitute, etcetera. Meanwhile, the relationships that seem to be most important and complex to the Losties are those they have with their fathers. And now on this island, the most feminine thing in the world — having babies — brings about death, while men become more virile and manlier than the rest of the world. If I may: WTF? *Stepping down, pushing soapbox neatly aside.*
- Mikhail (Eyepatch Guy) is alive! He's alive!
- At first I thought maybe it was Jin's superhuman sperm count making him so violent toward Mikhail, but then I remembered that he used to do that sort of thing for, you know, his job.
- Anyone else think of Dirty Dancing when Sun went to ask her dad for money but couldn't tell him what it was for? Maybe I've just seen that movie too many times.
- Speaking of the lady of the hour, I love-love-love Sun. She tracks down her father-in-law, and then actually honors his wish to keep the "shame" from Jin. Then she's totally badass in the way she gets her dad to give her the money (though I guess that's how Jin came to be doing the dirty work for her father). Finally, she gives the money to Jin's mother, but not before telling her what's-what.
- From which "other women" does Juliet intend to take "samples"? I think Juliet is a snake.
- Power Ranger's name is actually Naomi, so I will now stop saying "Power Ranger." Anyway, Naomi knows a lot of languages. According to Lostpedia, she spoke in Spanish, Italian, "an Asian language that Jin says is Chinese," and Portugese. They go on to claim that when she mutters in Portugese and Mikhail says she said "thank you," it was actually more like "I am not alone."
Photos copyright 2007 ABC, Inc