The '90s are back! Well, the '90s destination for guilty pleasure nighttime drama, anyway. The new Melrose Place premiered last night, and I'll just say it — I'm hooked.
It could be the murder mystery, the character intrigue, or the quick-moving plot, but I think the CW has captured the irresistible campiness of the original, even if the updating feels a little forced (all that tweet-talk was making my head spin).
To discuss the episode and see what I thought (spoilers ahead), just
- I liked that each character is confronted with a dilemma right off the bat, and we're not just talking minor dilemmas either — the prostitution storyline for medical student Lauren tells you right away that this show isn't going to shy away from scandal.
- We also know that Jonah and Riley's engagement is not going to be picture perfect, especially as long as they live at 4616 Melrose (see what Michael Rady has to say about it).
- Ashlee Simpson's character Violet isn't making a huge impression on me yet, though her delivery of the line "That's a lot of money" gives away what's been hinted about her character — that the good girl thing isn't what it seems.
- As a fan of the original series, the appearances of Thomas Calabro and Laura Leighton thrill me more than I thought they would. That's probably because their characters aren't just there for scenery; the dark pasts of both Michael and Sydney are mentioned, and I hope that we learn more about what their characters have been up to over the last 10 years.
- Oh, and speaking of Sydney — girlfriend ends up dead in the pool surrounded by blood. Not a bad way to get me to watch next week.
So what did you think? And more importantly, who do you think the killer is?
Photo courtesy of The CW