Well, there were no charitable surprises on American Idol this year. Someone went home during Idol Gives Back week on Thursday, and the announcement literally made my jaw drop. Which of these eight folks couldn't get past the inspirational-song round? To find out and talk about it, just
Michael Johns! Wow. You know, a couple of you pointed out that he was due for a bottom-three scare, and I also wasn't surprised to see him end up there — but out? Like out of the competition? And so soon? And wasn't it mean of Ryan to, just for a moment, pretend like he was going to let everyone stay in? Michael seemed truly stunned — as did his family, as did most of the audience. I didn't picture him staying all the way to the end, but past Syesha and Kristy Lee, for sure.
Speaking of Syesha, she too was in the bottom this week, along with Carly — nothing too remarkable there. It's interesting to note, though, that all of those three have had a hard time with song choice and/or with connecting with a particular fan base. Was it a personalty issue? Did Michael's hotness just stun everyone into complacency? How surprised were you?
As for the rest of the show, it was an hour filled mostly with leftovers that somehow didn't fit into Idol Gives Back. Here are some more of my thoughts:
- So, Idol Gives Back has raised more than $60 million so far, despite the lower-than-expected viewing numbers and the lack of a pay-per-vote incentive. Not bad. I'm guessing the iTunes downloads helped a lot, especially that top-selling opening number.
- How can you not love Forest Whitaker after his Africa videos? It's nice when the people in Hollywood who you thought would be good people turn out to actually be good people, you know?
- Jordin Sparks is adorable. I'm really rooting for her to succeed, and "No Air" seems to be helping her more than "Tattoo" did.
- I know we're at the point in the season that Ryan starts getting all tricky with the eliminations and the who's safe/who's out pattern and all that, but I still didn't expect the first five safe, last three in the bottom outcome.
- Uggghhhhh, John McCain really made a Michigan and Florida delegate joke?
- So, I kinda liked the "Stayin' Alive" goofy dancing montage. Of all the Idol Gives Back leftovers, that's the one I would have most liked to see on Wednesday, just to lighten the mood a wee bit.
Your thoughts on Thursday's show? Were you surprised by the elimination? And who's got some work to do?
Photos courtesy of Fox