I'm not going to lie, the person sent home on American Idol on Thursday won't surprise many, especially if you saw the results of my poll. However, there was a close call for me in the bottom three — and I'll say this: It wasn't a lady. Also, this show featured lots of sultry Motown singing from the likes of Ruben Studdard, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and Joss Stone.
Let's talk about what went down, who's left, and the lip-syncing controversy! Just
OK, that was a little too close for comfort. There are several people I would send packing before I let Matt go, and I'm still kind of in shock that his sexy "Let's Get it On" performance was in the bottom three. Even though I didn't personally adore it, it should have been solid enough to keep him safe. Was it a case of people assuming he'd get through? Perhaps — but when Ryan announced his name first in the bottom three, the female shrieks from the audience could be heard around the globe, I'm sure. Michael was sent to the stools next, followed by Scott.
When presented with the bottom three, Randy said Matt "rocked the mic" and didn't deserve to be there. Then Ryan told Scott he was safe, so it looked even more ridiculous to see Matt up there with Michael. In the end, America sent Michael packing, and no surprise: The judges decided not to use their save on him, either. It was a valiant effort by the family man and he should be proud of how far he got in this competition. I'm also proud of America for keeping Allison out of the bottom three this week.
Some more thoughts:
- The producers confirmed the Idols lip-sync the group sing just in time for the most obviously pre-recorded (and now pre-taped?) group numbers to-date. On the one hand, I guess it sounds pretty good. On the other, part of the fun of Idol — and the group number in particular — is when things sound bad.
- You know what I wish we could see live and non-lip-synced? A real duet between Matt and Lil singing "You're All I Need."
- Aw, Ruben got married. Cute. Also, he's a sweaty man. What? I couldn't not say it.
- Honestly, what is Smokey Robinson eating? He doesn't look a day over, oh, 41. I need to know if it's a lot of carrots or something. Joss looked pretty too.
- I will never say no to a Stevie Wonder medley. He showed those kids how it's done.
- Michael was cute when he was like, "Oh crap, singing after Stevie. Awesome."
Were you surprised by the results? Who's on the ropes for next week?
Photos courtesy of Fox