I happened to see a lot of movies in 2010, and while I loved the majority of this year's Oscar frontrunners, there are always a few movies that seem to slip through the cracks. Whether they underwhelmed critics or failed to perform at the box office, here are my favorite underrated movies of 2010. After you read the list, chime in with your own!
- Going the Distance: Critics didn't take to Justin Long and Drew Barrymore's romantic comedy, but I thought their relationship felt relatable and the jokes were genuinely funny for a change. I'd take this movie over other cheesy romances like Dear John and When in Rome any day.
- Shutter Island: The film did quite well at the box office but received mixed reviews. I think people were expecting too much from it; sure, it wasn't quite as astounding as The Departed, but Shutter Island represents yet another piece of standout filmmaking from Martin Scorsese.
- The Runaways: I'm sure Twi-hards aplenty were able to catch this film, but I felt like it came and went from the theater so quickly, which means it was soon forgotten. The Joan Jett/Cherie Currie biopic was entertaining and engaging, and I was truly impressed with the performances — particularly from Dakota Fanning who is so not a little girl anymore.
- Buried: I'd been dying to attend the Sundance Film Festival for what felt like forever, and this year I finally got my wish! Being all bundled up and standing in long lines was well worth it for Buried, AKA the story of Ryan Reynolds in a box. It's by far the most intense and emotionally gripping film I've seen in years, and it's a shame that Reynolds has been consistently overlooked for awards this year.
- Prince of Persia: Don't laugh! Prince of Persia wasn't the best movie of the year by any means, but I also think it got a worse rap than it deserved. It tanked at the box office, but Jake Gyllenhaal really gave it his all, and the final product was a lot better than I ever thought it could be. I'd still recommend this film to anyone who's looking for a bit of action and adventure.
To see the rest of this list and add your own, just
I'm always on the hunt for a diamond in the rough to add to my Netflix queue, so please share your own favorite underrated movies of the year!
Want to share your own Best of 2010 lists, stories, or polls? Just click here to join the group!