This week, there have been several movie news items that have left me either scratching my head or chuckling to myself. Thus, I've collected some of these headlines for a kind of mini-news roundup... of the weird.
- Jessica Biel and Forest Whitaker will take to the screen. Together. The film, titled Powder Blue, "finds four eclectic characters — a mortician, an ex-con, a suicidal ex-priest and a stripper — brought together on Christmas Eve by a mixture of circumstances." I'm going to venture a guess that Whitaker is not the stripper.
- Elijah Wood to play Iggy Pop? Bizarre.
- At first I was intrigued by the news that David Mamet has written another screenplay. Then I found out it is called Redbelt and is a Jiu-jitsu film (scratching head begins...), and it stars Chiwetel Ejiofor (who I love). And now there's someone joining Ejiofor: Tim Allen. Tim. Allen. In a Jiu-jitsu movie by the man who brought us Glengarry Glen Ross and Wag the Dog, among others. Could be awesome? Maybe?
- It sounds like Felicity Huffman is going for a kind of Georgia Rule: The Prequel with Phoebe in Wonderland, which stars Elle Fanning as "a rebellious little girl who clashes with the rule-obsessed authority figures in her life." I'll definitely be seeing it, however, since another great actress, Patricia Clarkson, will play the little girl's "unconventional drama teacher." Phoebe rule!
- More just cool than weird, Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg are collaborating on the three back-to-back features based on the beloved Belgian comic series, The Adventures of Tintin. That is going to be one unbelievable project, I can taste it.
More items if you