Am I alone in thinking this week's episode of The Office is super emotional? Between the Michael-Holly-Jan triangle and Jim and Pam's out-of-sync phone calls, this episode put the "dram" in "dramedy." However, Astrid (unfortunately misspelled as "Astird") is a hilarious name for a baby. It just keeps making me laugh.
To see what other moments made me laugh (and what made me go "awww!"),
- Jim's chart of Michael-Jan-sperm donor-watermelon is such a fantastic way to start the episode. "Michael is related to this baby through. . . delusion."
- Dwight helps Michael prepare for Jan's labor by "giving birth" to a watermelon that he coated in butter because "newborns are slippery." Also, I had to stop my recording at this line from Dwight because I was laughing too hard: "Growing up, I performed my own circumcision."
- "Astird" is apparently the name of "a viking princess."
- Michael is not pleased with the baby shower preparation and says to Phyllis that they gave her her wedding shower there. "We all came into this room and gave you a golden shower. Well, where's my golden shower, Phyllis?"
- I always love the Phyllis storylines. "I do enjoy being head of the party planning committee. I'm no longer under Angela's heel, and her little grape head is under mine." Little grape head!
- That first phone call between Pam and Jim (as Jim tries to keep up with Pam's convoluted story) is stressful! And then, Dwight: "Who's Sarah Kayacomesin?"
- OMG, Angela's baby picture! When Andy puts his baby picture next to Phyllis's by accident, Angela calls him a pervert.
- Michael says that Jan "is in the terminal stages of her pregnancy."
- Michael is kind of adorable in his own bizarre mixed-up way as he plans to ignore Holly, who he basically says is more attractive than Jan, so that Jan won't feel badly.
- Stanley: "I do not like pregnant women in my workspace. They're always complaining. I have varicose veins too. I have swollen ankles, I'm constantly hungry. Do you think my nipples don't get sore, too? Do you think I don't need to know the fastest way to the hospital?"
- Jan already had the baby and she didn't tell Michael!
Michael: "So, this is Astird."
- Wow, the montage of Michael with babies is so freaking cute. "Babies are drawn to me and I think it's because they see me as one of them but cooler, and with my life put together a little bit. If a baby were president, there would be no taxes, there would be no war. There would be no government, and things could get terrible. Actually probably it would be a better screenplay idea than a serious suggestion."
- I love it when Jan sings "Son of a Preacher Man." And Stanely's face! Unbelievable.
- Dwight thinks a $1,200 stroller should be indestructible, so he tries to destroy it. "Play time is over!" he roars.
- Jan says that the afterbirth floats, to which Creed mutters, "It must be like the tide at Omaha Beach."
- Michael: "I usually love babies, but when I held Astrid I just felt. . . shortchanged."
- Michael says to Darryl that he's a baby daddy. Darryl: "You should stop calling yourself baby daddy."
Michael: "Why, Darryl, because I'm quote white, quote-unquote?"
- Angela covers and surrounds Astrid with vegetables (including draping leaves on her) and takes pictures of her! Andy says she's "nature's bounty."
- Ugh! Jan shoots down each of Holly's jokes and then tells Michael not to date Holly! Jerk.
- But Michael just goes inside, walks straight to Holly, hugs her and then asks her out. "I didn't feel much when I held Astrid. But I got a good feeling from Holly." Aww!
- I think I could have done without the back-and-forth of Jim and Pam leaving each other messages at the end. It's cute, but for some reason I just didn't care that much.
So many hilarious moments this week! What were your favorite parts?