The hour-long season premiere of The Office found all of our old Dunder-Mifflin favorites taking part in corporate's weight loss challenge. Which ever Dunder-Mifflin branch loses the most weight over the Summer, receives additional vacation days. Pam moves to New York to start her new school program, and Andy tries to plan a wedding while Angela is leading a secret little life. Meanwhile, Stanley celebrates a birthday and works toward a goal of his own.
I thought the episode was a great kickstart to the new season. And did anyone else notice Mad Men's Harry Crane (actor Rich Sommer) in this episode?!
There's much to discuss (especially some Pam and Jim stuff!), so as long as you're not afraid of spoilers, you can see some of my favorite moments and quotes if you
- I don't bandy this term about too much but it's so deserved today in regard to Pam and Jim: squeeee! They're engaged! It happened! At a truck stop in the rain! Yay!
- "I'm excited to lose weight for the wedding because I really want to have washboard abs the first time Angela sees me naked," and later, "Every little boy fantasizes about his fairy tale wedding." Poor Andy! My heart went out to the guy during this episode.
- Dwight: "One more bite of éclair each! Hold it in your mouth if you can’t swallow." Jim grins, but Michael doesn't say his favorite line.
- Jim: "Most of the time, friends don’t talk about other friends’ butts."
- Dwight hammering fruit into the vending machine = amazing. The flies later appearing in the vending machine, also amazing.
- Andy: "Ange …ella. Ella ella ella. Under my Angerella, eh eh eh."
- After one of their secret meetings, Dwight calls Angela "half-pint" and "monkey" again. Angela says it’s the last time. "I have a fiancé I very much like!" Later, she says to camera, "I have a nice comforter, and several cozy pillows. I usually read a chapter of a book and it’s lights out by 8:30. That's how I sleep at night."
- Jim: "I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Michael is actually killing it with Holly. And I think I know why. It’s because Holly is kind of a major dork."
- Kelly's cleanse diet bit makes me laugh and yet, so sad at the same time! "I just bought some bikinis online, size 2. So. Gonna look amazing."
- The Kevin-is-mentally-challenged game is so wrong but feels so right. Holly announces to the office that Kevin is mentally-challenged. Kevin: "Wait, back up. Do you think I’m retarded?"
- I love some of Angela's clothes in this episode! Like this sweater and this top:
- Phyllis has used the fact that she saw Dwight and Angela together to leverage herself into the position of head of the party planning committee. "I guess I was just in the right place at the right time." I love happy Phyllis!
- Michael says that if they don’t lose weight they will all die of "obestity."
- Michael also says that if Angela gains weight she will die: "I want you to live forever, I want us all to live forever. How are we going to do this?"
Jim: "Cryogenics. Beer me five." He raises hand for Dwight to slap.
- Dwight kicks Stanley’s cake! "Happy birthday, Stanley."
- Kelly says she swallowed a tapeworm ("from Mexico," that Creed sold her) so that she would lose more weight.
Creed: "That wasn't a tapeworm."
- Michael's goatee looks disgusting. Just have to say that.
- Ryan (hired as the temporary receptionist!) tries to explain the past few years of treating Kelly like crap: "I was in my mid-twenties, and I was going through a lot of stuff. I think I never processed 9/11. I want you to know I’ve changed." Yay for Kelly acting all cool! "I'm dating Darryl now, and we’re like, crazy in love."
- Dwight leaves Phyllis in an abandoned warehouse in a bad part of town so she would have to walk back and work off calories. Enraged, she calls David Wallace on him!
- Michael wears his sumo suit (remember "Beach Games"?), which he is so glad he bought instead of rented, to do his "making fun of fat people character," Michael Clump. Michael says Michael Clump is a celebration of fat people.
- Pam is making a friend and it’s Harry Crane from Mad Men!
- Michael, as he makes Kelly stand on a chair: "She’s a beautiful Indian woman. Why? What makes her beautiful?"
Ryan stands, dramatically declaring, "Everything. She’s perfect."
Meredith: "I like her nails."
Michael: "OK, be more specific."
Meredith: "I like her finger nails."
Creed: "Hell of an ass."
- Angela wants them to dance to her favorite song for the first dance: "Little Drummer Boy." (I love that that's her favorite song! It's so perfect.) Andy: "I always thought it was bigger than Christmas anyway!"
- But when Andy says he wants his acapella group to sing at the wedding, Angela refuses, and it turns out this detail is Andy’s deal breaker. He lists off the guys in his group: Carl One, Carl Two, Broccoli Rob, Spare Rib, Doobie, Lunchbox, Boner Champ (that’s Andy), Pubie Lewis and the News, Hopscotch, Jingle-Jangle, Sandwich.
- Stanley fights the power at the end. "I'm gonna take off five days anyway."
- OMG, Toby! In the hospital after a zip-line accident, watching Entourage in Spanish! Such a good ending.
What did you think, Office fans? Are you glad they had Jim propose in the first episode of the season? Do you find the Michael-Holly flirtation insanely adorable, like I do?