Well, here's our first proof that the spinoff of The Office is actually happening: The show might not have a title, a setting, or a concept, but at least it has an actor!
Aziz Ansari of MTV's Human Giant will join the show as one member of the ensemble cast that's still being assembled. In addition to his work on the MTV sketch show, Ansari provided one of the funniest moments of the first season of Flight of the Conchords, playing a racist fruit stand owner. I'm certainly not sad to be seeing more from him.
Meanwhile, there's a wild rumor going around that Rashida Jones could be joining the spinoff, with one source saying it's happening and another saying she hasn't even been asked. It's an interesting idea, though: Would you watch a show focusing on Karen Fillipelli and the Utica branch?
In announcing Ansari's casting, Office creator Greg Daniels and producer Michael Schur also talked a bit more about the spinoff in general, so to read what they had to say — and watch Ansari's great Conchords moment — just
Some tidbits from the story:
- It's unlikely that any current Office characters will jump to the new show.
- However, it could be a "planted spinoff" where characters are introduced on the main show and then jump to their own series.
- The show could also be a completely separate series with no direct ties to The Office at all. Schur simply said, "We're focusing on making the best show we can make as a companion to The Office."
- The producers have a handful of ideas for the premise and will decide which one to pursue in the coming weeks.
- The writers have been hired, and they come from Everybody Loves Raymond, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and South Park, among others.
Sounds to me like it's all still kind of a mess at this point, but I'm curious to see what comes of it by the time the series premieres after the Super Bowl next year.
Here's Ansari on Conchords:
And here's the Conchords song his character inspired (vaguely NSFW, though to be fair, they're just saying "uckers"):