The fifth season of Lost kicks off tonight with the first two episodes and while we were down at the Lost fans should be super excited. All the promo photos emphasize the dual nature of this season — some will be in the outside world, as evidenced by the cityscape, and some will be back on the island.
While the cast of the show is still filming on location, executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof were there to tenderly step around reporters' questions without revealing too much of what's to come. The lunch panel was brought to us by Ajira Airways, though the exec producers were careful not to enlighten us with its meaning. If you want to see a few tidbits from the panel as well as a little of what to expect from the first three episodes just read more.
- While Cuse and Lindelof admitted that this season deals with an awful lot of time travel, they said that Sawyer is shirtless for the entire first episode as consolation to those who are not fans. In fact, they referred to this as the "Season of Sawyer." Um, yay.
- Daniel Dae Kim does have a contract to appear in episodes this season. Emilie de Ravin does not, but will return at some point before the series finale.
- Early on in the season, expect to see some sudden deaths. That's all on that.
- There was a lot of talk about Richard Alpert's possible over-application of eye makeup. According to Cuse and Lindelof, they had the same initial reaction but he is not wearing any eye liner, mascara, or eye makeup. Ha.
- Overall, the producers were incredibly thankful that ABC execs let them set an end date to the series so they will be able to tell their full story.
- On risky plotlines Lindelof said, "I think we’ve become fairly masochistic in our writing. You say fraught with peril like it’s a bad thing…[we say,] let’s do it. That’s what keeps the show exciting. The show has been a time travel show for the past four years…as season five unfolds it will be apparent that time travel has been in the DNA of that show.
- We are going to learn a lot about the history of the island, including about that four-toed statue.
- Don't worry about the recession affecting Lost — Cuse and Lindelof assured everyone that while they may look closer at their spending, don't expect the show to tone down on the stunts.
It's just a few hours away at this point. Get ready for time travel, mind blowing moments and, well, sexy shirtless Sawyer. Lucky us, who is excited?
Photo copyright 2009 ABC