Pop and I are down in Pasadena for our annual pilgrimage to the Winter TCA! Our first day has been a blast so far, with CBS, Showtime, and The CW opening up the ceremonies. Stay tuned over the next week for lots of updates on your favorite shows and stars, but for now we're bringing you some highlights from the Nurse Jackie panel, courtesy of Peter Facinelli. Facinelli may play Dr. Cooper on the small screen, but he seemed equally interested in talking about his big screen medical role, as Dr. Carlisle Cullen in Twilight, not to mention his love for Twitter (even saying that he'll ask Robert Pattinson to sign up for Twitter!) Here are some other highlights:
- On taking part in both projects: I've had a very crazy schedule. There was a whole month when I was shooting Eclipse and Nurse Jackie at the same time, but it's invigorating. As soon as I get on set I have so much energy. It was really fun for me to do such contrasting roles because Carlisle is such a calming force and such a rock and foundation for this family, and Coop is none of that — he runs around like he's had four cans of Red Bull.
- On making Eclipse: What I love about the third movie is that you get to see a side of Carlisle you haven't seen before, and what his vampire capabilities really are. There are some really great battle sequences. It's my favorite book.
- On the difference between Coop's Twitter account and his own: "He doesn't have nearly as many people following him [as I do].
- On when we can expect some news about Breaking Dawn: I don't know. Usually the fans know things before I do.
- On why he loves Twitter: I enjoy what Twitter is because I can really connect with the fans. It's a great way to share information with the fans. And it's a great way to entertain. I like being able to put a smile on people's faces, and I like being able to mix that up with sharing information with them that's important, and also let them know what I'm doing. I've had people come to me and say "Hey will you tweet this out?" but I'm not into that. I like to keep my Twitter pure. I'm not going to sell my followers anything. I just want to have that fan base so I can tell them what I'm doing and entertain them.
- On what Twilight has done for his career: The fan base is just phenomenal. When you go places and you see people who flew in from other countries just to take a picture with you, that's a loyal fan base that you can't even imagine having. I'm thankful for all of them, and that's why I try to give back and connect with all of them in some way.
- On switching gears between Nurse Jackie and Twilight: For me it was really invigorating. You know in the first few episodes of Nurse Jackie, there is a scene where I am crying. That came out of me just being emotionally exhausted. It wasn't written that I was crying, but all of a sudden in the middle of the scene I broke down and started crying. And it just felt right for the scene. I redid the scene so I wasn't crying, but we felt like since there were so many heavy emotions going on that it really worked for the scene. It was just me getting off an airplane, having three hours of sleep, and just being that vulnerable that it hit me that hard. I really enjoyed doing both projects at the same time.
- Is Carlisle really a good doctor?: Oh he's great! Because Carlisle has been around for so long, I think that he's very well educated and what I love about him is he has a real love for humanity. People always ask me what kind of research did you do to play a vampire. I say I do very little to play a vampire, because I'm playing a vampire who is trying to be human. My research is more what is it to be human. Why does he love humanity so much, that he wanted to hold on to that. When you look at something like Twilight, the good vampires aren't necessarily good, they're just eccentric. The bad vampires are just doing what they're born to do and made to do. It's kind of like domesticating a lion. For me, Carlisle is just holding on to that humanity. He doesn't want to be a vampire.
To see lots more on what Facinelli had to say about Breaking Dawn and Carlisle, just read more.
Be sure to keep checking more for lots more fun interviews and updates from the TCA!