If we've learned one thing from Pretty Little Liars, it's that nothing can really be trusted until it's spelled out for us. Going into this week's Halloween special, "Grave New World," we already had plenty of questions plaguing us: Is Ezra really A? There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to prove he is, but we've been tricked before. And what about Alison? Is she really alive? As the girls continue to scour Ravenswood for Ali and try to escape the clutches of A, there's a lot of walking in circles (literally and figuratively), a little spinoff tie-in, and one big shocker.
Find out exactly what happens after the break!
- Caleb makes a new friend on his bus ride. At the beginning of the episode, Caleb is riding what I'm pretty sure is the creepiest bus in existence to Ravenswood. There are only two other passengers: one creepy man with a glass eye and a fellow teenager named Miranda. All I'm saying is you could see the Ravenswood spinoff interlude coming from a mile away. Later, Hanna tells Caleb to stay and help Miranda find her uncle. That's convenient.
- The girls pull fabulous costumes out of nowhere. The girls all suddenly don matching elaborate costumes for the party in the Ravenswood cemetery, where two important things happen: Ezra calls Aria, and we see he's also in the cemetery, watching them and wearing a soldier's uniform. Also, the girls spot Red Coat and continue their pursuit. They happen upon a tomb with a secret tunnel, and that's where things get weird.
- Hanna has a close encounter . . . with Alison? Hanna somehow manages to get lost in the long, underground tunnel and finds her way into an old mansion. She then gets locked in a phone booth with frosted glass where she sees Alison get pulled away by a man wearing a soldier's uniform and a gas mask. Is Gas Mask Man supposed to be Ezra? It seems that's what we're meant to think, but there's no way of knowing for sure.
- Spencer gets into a scuffle with Gas Mask Man. As the other girls make their way through the crypt-like maze and eventually the old mansion, Spencer gets separated from the group, too. It's only a matter of time before she encounters Gas Mask Man, and instead of running, she goes straight in for a fight! Yeah, Spencer! She knocks him out and almost pulls off the gas mask before he awakes and knocks her unconscious in return. Foiled again!
- Much of the episode is composed of distant screaming. It seems like a lot of moments in the episode are interrupted by off-screen screaming. Aria and Emily eventually trace it back to a tape recorder — because heaven forbid it leads to something useful — and a mysterious scene with Ms. Grunwald ensues. She shivers and tells the girls, "One of you has been touched by the one Alison fears the most." She has to be talking about Spencer and the Gas Mask Man, right?
- Ali is definitely alive. Ezra might be A, but we don't know for sure. The very end of the episode finally gives us what we've been waiting for: undeniable proof that Ali is alive, and the great reveal does not disappoint. "Did you miss me?" Ali asks the girls. She then says, "It's still not safe for me to be here." When the girls ask who she's afraid of, she says, "Remember what I told you at the hospital, Hanna." Then Ezra shows up to return Aria's cell phone, and Ali's gone. Admittedly, things aren't looking too good for Ezra, but part of me still feels like we're being tricked! Also, what did Ali tell Hanna in the hospital?
We still have so many questions! How did you feel about the episode? Do you think Ezra is really A?