Wow! This week's Private Practice has many a heart-pounding moment, including an actual punch-out in the Oceanside Wellness lobby and a gun-wielding SWAT guy protecting Addison. I feel satisfied with how a lot of the different plot lines turned out in this episode, as I think many of these threads were due to either end or hit some kind of dramatic climax. And yay for the addition of Addison's brother Archer! I have to admit the prospect of yet another character seemed daunting, but after talking to Grant Show about this guy, I was intrigued, and now I think he'll be a great addition to the show. Ready to talk about it? Just read more.
After Addison and SWAT guy spend a hot evening of go-karting together, they return to Addison's place to find the door open. Someone has clearly broken in, and SWAT guy goes into cop-mode, yanking a gun out of his sock and slowly heading in to confront the intruder — only to find Archer having sex with random lady on the kitchen floor. I have to say, for all the grief Archer gives Addison about dating a cop, this scene was awfully dreamy. I mean, he pulled a gun out of his sock! That's a handy attribute in a boyfriend. Anyway, turns out Archer is super snobby and makes lots of references to "Bizzy" (the Forbes Montgomery matriarch) and how no one from their elite east coast family would approve of Addison's lifestyle and especially the new boyfriend.
Then there's Violet. Was it just me or were her intimate therapy sessions with the pedophile seriously creepy? And not just creepy but uncomfortable and icky? Having this scary character around the office seems to make everyone a little nuts, including Dell. In fact, Violet and Dell come together after the big confrontation in the lobby and confide secrets in each other. We found out last week that rape was no laughing matter to Violet (is it to anyone though?) and it turns out that she was sexually assaulted. Violet also grows tired of waiting on Charlotte to tell Cooper the truth and unloads it on him. He breaks a glass door over the news!
And finally there's Naomi's "meaningless sex" with Archer. Addison's grossed out and sort of mad at both of them for going there — but not as mad as Sam, who punches Archer when he finds out. I liked when Naomi asks why Addison isn't mad at Archer, to which Addison answers, "There's a difference between my brother being a whore, and my best friend conscientiously choosing to sleep with him." In the end, I'm glad Naomi had sex before Sam, for some reason. And did we already know Naomi's only ever slept with Sam before? Very interesting!
- Whoa! Charlotte's chocolate body paint bikini things was seriously . . . nude-looking for primetime.
- On the one hand, I'm glad to see Cooper finally break things off with Charlotte, but on the other hand, I'll miss anecdotes related to their sex life, including the fact that after the party Cooper dressed up as Captain Von Trapp and Charlotte as a nun.
- I felt the whole faith-based dilemma of the couple with the triplets was heavy handed. I mean, they had Southern accents for no great reason, which struck me as oddly stereotypical, for one thing. But more than that, I didn't find their story all that interesting.
- Oh but my heart totally broke when SWAT guy's in the hospital telling Addison he doesn't fit into her world! She tells him she's proud that he's a SWAT guy, to which he responds, "I'm a cop . . . stop trying to class it up."
- Do you like Pete and Meg together? Do you think there's something to Archer's insistence that Pete would be good for Addison, despite how arrogant his reasons for thinking that are?
- Addison has a $25 million trust fund! Dang.
What did you guys think of last night? Chime in below!
Photos copyright 2008 ABC, Inc.