Broadway hit Rock of Ages is set to leap from stage to the screen when the movie version is released in 2012. The casting has been slowly coming together, and the lead role has finally been cast: Diego Boneta has snagged the part of Drew Boley. The relative newcomer (though 90210 and Pretty Little Liars fans will recognize him) will play the bus boy/aspiring rocker trying to get his big break in LA. Besides him, there have been other recent cast developments — check out a rundown of the actors set to star in the film, directed by Adam Shankman.
- Along with Boneta, Russell Brand is also in talks for a role, which many are speculating is that of Lonny, who narrates the movie and runs The Bourbon Room, the fictional LA club where Drew works.
- Tom Cruise is attached to the part of rock star Stacee Jaxx.
- Julianne Hough has the female lead of Sherrie Christian, the small-town girl with big dreams.
- Amy Adams recently signed on to play the journalist who is easily seduced by Jaxx, Cruise's character. UPDATE: Adams is no longer on board, and Malin Akerman has taken the role.
- Paul Giamatti will play the manager of Jaxx's band.
- Alec Baldwin is Dennis Dupree, owner of The Bourbon Room.
- Mary J. Blige will appear as Justice Charlier, proprietor of exotic dance establishment The Venus Club.
- Bryan Cranston is in talks to play the mayor of Los Angeles, and Catherine Zeta-Jones will play the his wife.
If you're a Rock of Ages fan, let me know — are you on board with these casting choices?