Ugly Betty didn't have its own session at this Summer's TCA press tour, but executive producer Silvio Horta did stop by ABC's showrunners panel (delivering one of the best lines of the press tour in the process).
Afterwards, a few other reporters and I huddled with Horta to find out what's on tap for season three of Betty. While he didn't, you know, reveal which guy Betty chooses, he still had a lot to say about Betty's growth, Lindsay Lohan's arc, and what will become of Hilda and the coach. Curious to see what he had to say? Just
- The season premiere is going to be a doozy. "There's so much that happens in the first episode that sets up the rest of the season," Horta said.
- The theme of the third season is growing up. "[Betty's] lost some of the focus that she had when she started this job," Horta said. "She's going to make this commitment to do certain things and act as a grownup. There's going to be some big changes in her life."
- As for Lindsay Lohan, she'll be there as a contrast to Betty, a mean girl from high school whose life has taken a turn for the worse (burger-flipping style). "Lindsay brings a reputation, but I've always loved her," Horta said. "From Parent Trap to Mean Girls to Freaky Friday, she delivers."
- With Patricia Field now in charge of the show's wardrobe after its move to New York, Betty is going to get a little more fashionable. But just a little: "She's still going to have her braces and her glasses, but if she didn't at least try to change . . . she's worked at the magazine for two years!" Horta said. "But she doesn't necessarily have the best eye for fashion. She's going to screw up a bit."
- New York also means more real players from the fashion world are likely to turn up on the show: Horta said Dolce and Gabbana already wants to be involved.
- Will Amanda ever find her father? "Maybe," Horta said coyly. He still likes the idea of exploring the background of Amanda's character: "We just see the girl who's in the circular desk. What's she doing here? How did she get here?"
- Marc will be getting some more meaty stuff with the return of his boyfriend, Cliff. Yay!
- Things are going to get a little sticky with Hilda and the Coach. His wife will appear at some point, and Hilda's family won't be too thrilled about the relationship, either.
What do you most want to see in Betty's third season?