As Mary pointed out on this week's So You Think You Can Dance results show, the top 20 turned in exceptional performances the night before. This is a really impressive group this year. That said, the bottom six dancers were not a surprise to me. The judges had their work cut out for themselves when figuring out who to save. Other than elimination business, the night was packed with stuff like a fun group dance, a Sean Kingston performance, and of course, screaming. A lot of screaming. Let's talk about the results! Just read more.
At the start of the show, when they brought out couples like Kayla and Max and Randi and Evan, the news was all good, all the time. In fact, five couples took the stage before we were told anyone was in danger. That's not exactly suspenseful television, but oh, well. What are you gonna do at this stage in the competition? The screaming seemed particularly loud when Jeanine and Phillip were told they were safe.
The three couples with the least votes, who then had to dance solos, were: Paris and Tony, Asuka and Vitolio, and Karla and Jonathan. After some so-so solo dancing (I wish they were given more time to dance) the judges left the stage to deliberate and then delivered the following results:
Girls: Nigel said Karla needs to bring her personality to her dancing, but she's safe. On the other hand Asuka has plenty of personality and is "a little star" when it comes to performing. She is also safe. Nigel said the judges decided that Paris isn't a strong enough contemporary dancer to keep her spot and is going home. She looked so sad and devastated! I'm not surprised she's leaving, but it's sad to see her go.
Guys: Nigel didn't think any of the guys danced particularly well during their solos. The judges don't think Vitolio is showing his personality but they're willing to give him another chance and he's safe. Jonathan's solo dancing wasn't particularly good but his "gymnastics" impressed, according to Nigel, and they're keeping him. That means it's Paris's partner, Tony, who got the boot.
Here are the rest of my thoughts on the evening:
- Um, thanks SYTYCD for sharing with me the gross facts about the dancers, like Melissa's raunchy burps and the fact that boy dancers sweat a lot. Lovely!
- Adam got in quite the plug for his Twitter account while trying to help Paris and Tony feel better about being in danger.
- What did you guys think of the guest dancers? I wasn't as wowed as I thought I'd be.
- Tony's solo dance outfit was kind of amazing. The hat. The coattails. I was mesmerized.
- Even though I thought Asuka and Vitolio were the weakest couple of competition night, Vitolio's solo dance completely won me over to him! Now that is a solo outfit I can appreciate (pants only).
- Every dancer looks so teeny-tiny when they stand next to Cat after their solo dances. I just had to point that out tonight.
So what did you think of the results?
Photos courtesy of Fox