With Godzilla threatening to crush the box office this weekend, blockbuster season has begun, and Hollywood has plenty of other action flicks coming. With tons of movies set to be released this Summer , there are so many good flicks to look forward to, but if you're looking for the kind of heart-pounding action this season is known for, we have your guide to those. From franchises to action comedies and militant creatures, there's going to be a lot of butt-kicking and special effects on the big screen. Here are the 12 action movies that should be on your radar!
Source: Disney 
- Who's starring: Bryan Cranston is a scientist facing down the iconic monster, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a soldier sent in for battle.
- Why we're interested: It's right there in the title: Godzilla! The previews look chilling and not cheesy, and frankly, we miss Cranston on Breaking Bad.
- When it opens: May 16
- Watch the trailer for Godzilla .
X-Men: Days of Future Past
- Who's starring: All the mutants! Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy , Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Jackman , Evan Peters, Ellen Page , Anna Paquin , Ian McKellan, Halle Berry , and Patrick Stewart are all reprising their roles.
- Why we're interested: Young is meeting old in the new movie, and who wouldn't want to see old Magneto meet young Magneto? Plus, we have to nurture our girl crush on Lawrence.
- When it opens: May 23
- Watch the trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past .
Edge of Tomorrow
- Who's starring: Tom Cruise  and Emily Blunt  play soldiers stuck in a time loop, forever caught in a vicious battle between humankind and aliens.
- Why we're interested: We love Blunt as a total badass, but there's something about seeing Cruise in action-star mode that's exactly what we need in a Summer flick.
- When it opens: June 6
- Watch the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow .
22 Jump Street
- Who's starring: Jonah Hill  and Channing Tatum  are back as Schmidt and Jenko, only this time, they're going to college. Other returning cast members include Nick Offerman, Dave Franco, Rob Riggle, and Ice Cube.
- Why we're interested: The first movie was hilarious, and judging by the trailer, we're confident this follow-up can hold the comedy torch. We all need a little more Schmidt and Jenko in our lives, you know?
- When it opens: June 13
- Watch the trailer for 22 Jump Street .
- Who's starring: Robert Pattinson  plays an injured man left behind when his gang steals a loner's (Guy Pearce) car in the middle of the Australian outback.
- Why we're interested: Pearce is great and all, but this is all about Pattinson. We know, we know, Twilight's over, but it's just nice to see him display some range!
- When it opens: June 20
- Watch the trailer for The Rover .
Source: FilmNation 
Transformers: Age of Extinction
- Who's starring: Mark Wahlberg  and Bates Motel's Nicola Peltz star.
- Why we're interested: Two words: Wahlberg's arms. OK, those and the fact that there is a dinosaur transformer. Hopefully all those things will inject some freshness into this franchise.
- When it opens: June 27
- Watch the trailer for Transformers: Age of Extinction .
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Who's starring: Jason Clarke, Keri Russell , and Gary Oldman are the surviving humans after apes have taken over.
- Why we're interested: Hey, we want to find out what happened to Caesar!
- When it opens: July 11
- Watch the trailer for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes .
- Who's starring: Modern-day Hercules Dwayne Johnson is taking on the title role, while John Hurt, Ian McShane, and Joseph Fiennes also star.
- Why we're interested: Everything about The Rock playing Hercules sounds awesome. And if you haven't watched him bellowing "I. AM. HERCULEEES!" in the trailer, you need to do so now.
- When it opens: July 25
- Watch the trailer for Hercules .
Guardians of the Galaxy
- Who's starring: Chris Pratt plays Peter Quill aka Starlord, Zoe Saldana  is Gamora, Vin Diesel is a treelike humanoid, and Bradley Cooper  voices a raccoon. Together, they protect the galaxy in amateur, somewhat comedic ways.
- Why we're interested: Pratt's abs are out of this world in the trailer, but besides that, this looks like the funniest Marvel movie yet. As long as it doesn't sacrifice action for humor, this could be a hit.
- When it opens: Aug. 1
- Watch the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy .
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Who's starring: Megan Fox , Will Arnett , Whoopi Goldberg, and Abby Elliott play humans opposite a bunch of, let's say, "interesting" adolescent turtles.
- Why we're interested: If you were alive for any part of the early '90s, you know a thing or two about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While you may not be too hot on the idea of a remake, you'll still want to check out these new turtles.
- When it opens: Aug. 8
- Watch the trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Who's starring: Scarlett Johansson  plays the title character, a woman who's forced to be a drug mule, then discovers certain new strengths.
- Why we're interested: Johansson was so good in last month's Captain America: The Winter Soldier that we're ready to see her kick butt yet again.
- When it opens: Aug. 8
- Watch the trailer for Lucy .
The Expendables 3
- Who's starring: Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger , Jason Statham, and Kellan Lutz , to name a few.
- Why we're interested: Guns and guns! The big-weapons and big-arms sequel is good for one thing: fun.
- When it opens: Aug. 15
- Watch the trailer for The Expendables 3 .