Last night's Ugly Betty asked a very important question: Just how much of yourself are you willing to compromise in order to get ahead at work? We all know that Betty is extremely ambitious, but she's also incredibly loyal and a totally nice person who eschews all things mean and evil. So it was fun to see her wade into the dark side of Mode office politics for the sake of her career, as uncomfortable as it may be. We even got a flash-forward of Betty as an evil Wilhelmina-type boss!
Meanwhile, Daniel gets some bad news related to his new son, and Hilda finally starts to see the downside of dating a married man (besides the obvious) after getting a good and solid judgmental stare-down from Betty. Also, there was sad news for Christina and a scary shocker at the end of the hour! Ready to chat about it? Just read more.
- The opening scene was so great. I love shows that take the first few minutes of an episode seriously enough to do something unexpected and hilarious to draw us in, and Ugly Betty rarely fails on that front. Lady lawyers stripping down to their underwear on the court steps for a photo shoot? Hilarious! Of course, that wasn't what Betty meant by a spread that shows women in a more professional light.
- I think this was the first episode I started to feel invested in Daniel and his kid. They're cute together. I love Daniel dropping him off at school, leaving him with paternal advice gems like, "play the field."
- Too bad Daniel's now in for a custody battle with the French grandparents. I wonder if we'll get some great guest stars to play them.
- So Wilhelmina lures Betty to the dark side in a hilarious lunch. I died when they sit down together and Wilhelmina beams, "Isn't this fun . . . girlfriend?!"
- Marc, of course, is thrilled to be the boss of Betty. On her first day back at Mode, he mocks Betty when she hugs Christina, whispering to Wilhelmina, "Christina must have a doughnut in her pocket." Why is his meanness so hilarious?
- Before I forget — that scene with Hilda and Tony where he tells her "You're not the other woman, you're the only woman" was sad because, first of all, yeah right, and second, her top was more on the bra side of things than the shirt side of things.
- Betty rises quickly in Wilhemina's eyes, even completing a Devil Wears Prada-esque task (remember when Meryl Streep's character orders Anne Hathaway's character to get the unpublished manuscript of a Harry Potter book?) by getting a fancy tiara to Mode.
- Betty sounds so geeky when Wilhemina tells her she is "the one" — "Like Lord of the Rings?"
- Ew, Marc hates being demoted because he no longer gets to inject botox into Wilhemina's face ("my favorite part is injecting poison into my bosses head"). Also, the demotion is totally worth it to hear Amanda's comforting song.
- When Tony shows up at Mode looking for Betty, Marc and Amanda both lie and say, "I'm Betty Suarez!" because he's, you know, super hot.
- Betty's future fantasy where she's the boss will probably go down as one of the best Ugly Betty moments of all time. Especially because she kicks a puppy!
- Christina's man is on drugs, which is sad and stuff, but it gave her one of the best zingers of the night: "It's like Rush Limbaugh fornicated with Amy Winehouse and they spawned you!"
- The "anatomically correct" ice sculpture was brilliant and I did not expect Claire to push it over like that!
Well, the Meades are back on top, and Marc and Betty have resumed their positions as rivals on opposite teams within Mode, just as nature intended it. Hurray! Hilda was, not surprisingly, stood up by her married man and I'm afraid she's in for a crash landing in the love department. Can we get the woman a decent dude please? This is too sad. And is it totally obvious who pushed Christina down the stairs, or is nothing ever as predictable as it seems on this show?
Photos copyright 2008 ABC, Inc.