This week's Ugly Betty is a little bit late to the Easter party, but no matter. It's still lots of fun — what with Daniel in a neon pink bunny suit and all. Financially speaking, things at Mode are looking quite grim, and Daniel is forced to put his dignity aside to save the company.
Whose evil idea is it to make Daniel hop for his supper (supper, in this case, being millions of dollars invested into Meade family magazines)? Let's just say Betty's boyfriend's mother is just the tip of the iceberg in that messed-up rich family. Meanwhile, it's brought to Wilhelmina's attention that her child looks nothing like her. Dun-dun-dun!
Can Daniel save the company? Is Willi really the mother of one of the heirs to the Meade fortune? Let's chat about the return of Betty — just read more.
- Times are tough, y'all. Daniel has to take the bus and Willi is on the subway. Meanwhile, Betty gets to ride to work in limos!
- When Betty gets to Mode, it looks like people are looting the office, but it's really just that the economy is bad and they have to save money. I guess once the budget gets tight, you lose all the fun perks of working at a magazine . . . like furniture. I love Amanda's line while all the guys are moving stuff out: "I feel so violated, and not in a good way!"
- Betty gets an "eggvite" to Matt's dad's ultraexclusive Easter party, and Daniel's jealous. It's pretty nice of Matt to invite Betty's whole family, too, don't you think? I usually wait a while to mix families when I start dating someone.
- Meanwhile, Willi's getting portraits taken of her and the baby, and the photographer points out that the baby, um, doesn't look like her at all. Willi's line back is great: "He'll brown up eventually."
- Oh man, I keep laughing just thinking about Hilda's pronunciation of "Fabergé." To Justin after he corrects her: "No, sweetie. When there's an "e" at the end, it's silent."
- I cringed when Betty first tells Daniel that Matt would be happy to set up a meeting with his father. I felt like she was in for trouble by offering that up so quickly.
- One excellent scene is when Marc not-so-subtly tries to figure out if Christina had sex around the time she was implanted with Willi's egg. He suddenly starts to act all BFF with her and whips out a sex quiz, which of course makes Amanda appear out of nowhere: "I'm like the Einstein of sex. . . . I have a pornographic memory."
- And then things get really dire and Amanda gets laid off. Sad!
- So the Easter egg hunt event Matt's dad throws is pretty cool. How cute does Matt look in a suit? I think he is growing on me despite all his issues.
- Also, Hilda's curtsy when she meets Matt's dad is basically the best thing ever.
- Actually, no. The best thing ever is Hilda finding the special egg and getting mad when they donate the prize that goes along with finding the egg to a charity in her name. Ha!
- Willi totally cheats on that blood test, right? She would never just get a test and do the right thing when it comes to her stake in the Meade family estate. Not buying it.
All in all, a pretty decent episode, although it appears Daniel has made a deal with the devil to save the company (Matt: "Dad's more like . . . Satan"). Also, I was wondering about this: Betty basically comes up with the maneuver that hooks Daniel up with an investor who completely saves the day. Doesn't rescuing an entire company qualify a person for a raise? A promotion? Anything? She should demand that.
What did you think of this episode?
Photos copyright 2009 ABC, Inc.