We're just one week away from the season finale of The Vampire Diaries, and this next-to-last episode has almost as much drama as I expect next week will have. Klaus's sacrifice to break his curse finally takes place — but the conclusion isn't exactly what I thought was going to happen.
There's also a major death, along with a few minor ones and several near misses. All in all, it's a pretty violent installment, and I'm ready to talk about what happened. To discuss the good, the bad, and the bloody of the episode, just
- Let me just say how happy I am to see Tyler and Caroline re-igniting their bond. After Matt shoots Tyler in werewolf form, he and Caroline flee to the Lockwood house. Matt admits that he was never compelled to forget that Caroline was a vampire and has been spying on her for her mother. Tyler ends up back in his human form (naked, of course), and when Matt sees her caring for him, he observes what her life is like now, and basically tells her that his life is tough enough without a vampire girlfriend. Don't feel bad for Caroline getting dumped — she ends up cuddling in the arms of a nude Tyler by the end of the episode (OK, he's got a blanket on, but you know you were thinking about it too).
- Jeremy and Bonnie resume their studying to devise a plan to ensure Elena doesn't die in the sacrifice, and John, Damon, and Alaric join them. With the help Emily Bennett and Jonathan Gilbert's diaries, they figure out a way to save Elena from vampirehood: if they can keep her soul intact, she won't transition.
- At the sacrifice site, Jenna is transitioning into a vampire, and to Elena's horror, she completes the final step when Greta makes her drink her blood. Greta then delivers Jules to Klaus, and she makes three fiery rings for each person being sacrificed. But Stefan has a new plan when he learns that Klaus has taken Jenna; he wants to exchange Jenna for himself. He crashes the sacrifice, but Klaus doesn't let them trade spots, instead incapacitating Stefan.
- Terrified, Jenna strikes and attacks Greta, and Klaus, sadly, makes his next sacrifice, staking Jenna. The kids who were already orphans really are orphans. Losing Jenna is really like her and Jeremy's family unit falling apart. John, the last parent in Elena's life, collapses after sacrificing himself so that Elena can live off of his life force. He leaves Elena with his ring, so she's sort of protected now, but it's not the same as having a loving guardian.
- After Klaus sinks his teeth into Elena's neck, she falls to the ground, seemingly dead. As Klaus transitions, Bonnie does a spell-march into the site, weakening him as he writhes on the ground. Damon kills Greta and retrieves Elena's lifeless body, and as Elijah is poised to finish off Klaus, Klaus pulls out his trump card. Promising to lead him to the bodies of their siblings he murdered, Klaus manipulates Elijah into saving him, and Elijah can't resist. They escape together. Get ready for "a new order" to contend with.
- I'm scared about Damon's werewolf bite, but I'm fairly certain that the cure Stefan vows to find will be found. And though Damon requests that Stefan keep this bit of info from Elena, I'm sure that she'll find out right away. Secrets don't really stay secret for long on this show.
- Klaus is still on the loose? Enough already! If he doesn't take a stake (or silver bullet, or whatever kills the new order of hybrid) in the season finale next week, I will stake my TV.
- It's not enough for Klaus to pull out Jules's heart, he has to squeeze the blood out of it too? Nasty. I hope Elijah takes Klaus somewhere he can wash his hands.
- I have to say, Elena's perfect bite marks from Klaus look downright dainty. Everyone else is sort of made a mess of, but pretty Elena gets the classic two-hole punch. Cute.
What did you think of this week? Will you miss Jenna? Though it's upsetting for the kids, I thought the death was kind of anticlimactic. Discuss below, and let me know how excited you are for the season finale next week!
Photo courtesy of The CW