In this week's episode of The Vampire Diaries, we say goodbye to two people: Bonnie and old Stefan. The group finally learns that Bonnie is dead, while Stefan is alive and well (as alive as a vampire can be anyway), and though he doesn't have any of his old memories, he does have a new attitude. There's a little bit of a spark between Stefan and Elena (it fits right in with what Qetsiyah told us last week about them being into to each other for all time), but so far, Damon and Elena are still going strong. Matt, on the other hand, finds out he's not crazy, there's just an Eastern European man living inside of him.
Ready to get to the good, the bad, and the bloody of this week's episode? Good, because we have to talk about New Stefan, the return of a long-lost character, and what that creepy college professor is doing to Caroline's new love interest. Let's discuss after the jump.
- Stefan has amnesia from Qetsaiyah's little brain-frying spell, but I don't hate that Original Recipe Stefan is gone; I like that memory-free Stefan is questioning everything. His reactions are spot-on; have you ever tried explaining The Vampire Diaries to someone who doesn't watch it? So confusing. Anyway, he doesn't forget that he's attracted to Elena (and easily deduces they were once together), and when they almost kiss, she has to admit that she's with Damon.
- Even though Stefan is upset with Damon and Elena, this could mean good things for Stefan and Caroline. She's the only one he trusts now, and they have some good shared moments — he even calls her hot! And she's going to help him not be the Ripper again. I'm telling you, this beautiful friendship has all the ingredients to be more.
- Poor body-snatched Matt tries to figure out his blackouts, so he sets up a camera, and it's so much worse than when you find out you ate all night because you were on Ambien. Gregor and his bad accent speak into the camera to tell Matt that he is Matt's passenger (shades of Dexter!) and that he'd better keep his knife safe. Alrighty then.
- With people really starting to wonder where Bonnie is, Jeremy has to admit that she's dead. Damon hugging Jeremy is good (I guess?), but I'm just glad it's out in the open. Now we can all move on. Her funeral — with Jeremy telling talking to Bonnie's friends for her — is pretty touching, though. And it brings back . . .
- Tyler! Tyler's back! Actually, I don't know how I feel about it. I didn't really miss him, but Caroline did, and I like her. Where has he been? What has he been doing? I need answers before I decide I'm glad he's back.
- Ooh, a little mystery to latch on to! After Stefan attacks Caroline's cute study date, Jesse, and then Caroline heals him, we see him with that weird professor, who discovers he has vampire blood in his system. And then he kills Jesse. What's Professor McWeirdo going to do with a new vampire?
- It's hard to feel that bad about the Bonnie death news because we've known for so long. You're sad now, Elena, but we moved on and so can you.
- It feels wrong to talk so much about Stefan being the Ripper without Klaus being there to say it like, "RIPPAH." I miss you, Klaus!
- Points to Stefan for remembering how to attack a neck, but it's relatively tame. Come on, RIPPAH!
What did you think of this week's episode?